Author Topic: TV101  (Read 4100 times)

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
TV101
« on: December 31, 2012, 08:25:07 PM »
As you might have already guessed if you have read some of my previous posts , if I build a project with an automatic transmission my preference leans toward an overdrive transmission. GM has offered a number of these transmissions over the years including the 2004R, 700R4, 4L60 and the later version 4L60E with the E standing for electronically controlled These transmissions have gotten a bad rap for a couple of reasons. Firstly the very early versions had some engineering issues that were worked out in later versions and secondly and probably the most important cause of failure is the improper adjustment of the TV(Throttle Valve) system. The geometry of the TV cable/ carburetor linkage is quite a bit different than that of the “Kick Down cable on the Turbo 350 and 400. If the cable is not pulled at the correct rate throughout the entire rotation of the carburetor shaft the transmission pressure will not be correctly controlled which could cause excessive heat buildup and severe damage to the clutch packs and other internal components. The best description of how the system works that I have found is in an article from Bow Tie Overdrives http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml which I have attached (see PDF File). This is not to promote their products but I will add that they do offer components that will insure that the system will function properly and I have used them with great success. I have also added a short history and description of the transmission below. There‘s a lot to read so grab a beer and sit back relax and hopefully enjoy.
Moose….

The 700R4 Automatic Overdrive Transmission was GM’s answer to the American consumer’s desire for better fuel economy. First introduced in 1982, the 700R4 was met with wide fanfare as the ideal transmission. The transmission featured an impressive 30% overdrive while also offering a low first gear of 3.06. The improved fuel economy added with a low off-road first gear made this transmission an immediately popular choice for conversions. The 700R4 was basically designed to replace the retired TH350 transmission. The 700R4 was used in rear wheel drive passenger vehicles, S-series trucks, Blazers, half ton pickups and even a few three quarter ton trucks. The transmission was offered with the standard V8 90° bolt pattern which also included the 4.3 V6. A smaller 60° bolt pattern was also available for some smaller V6. Engines like the 2.8. The bolt pattern on the rear of the transmission was the same 4-bolt pattern as the TH350 but used metric bolts. The transmission always used a 27 spline output shaft. The 4wd output shaft protruded out of the transmission with a stick out length of 2.75". This stick out was approximately 2" longer than the TH350.Another unique feature to the 700R4 was the lock up torque converter. This feature essentially locked up the torque converter to create a direct mechanical connection similar to a manual clutch transmission. By locking the converter at highway speeds the slip of the converter was eliminated. The results were lower RPMs and significant loss of generated heat. Although the 700R4 is not an "electronically" controlled transmission, this feature was controlled by a PCM. There are any number of ways to control the converter using a simple switch and relay system. The 700R4 also uses a TV cable (or Throttle Valve) to control the shift points and line pressure. It is critical that special attention be used during the adjustment of the T.V. cable. Although GM should be credited with the introduction of such a revolutionary transmission, the transmission did suffer from a few glitches. GM persevered with the development of the 700R4, and to their credit, the transmission received all of the necessary upgrades by 1987. Something else to consider in researching and selecting a 700R4 is the wide aftermarket support available. Automotive aftermarket manufacturers have had over 25 years to master and perfect this transmission. The availability of better clutch packs, shafts and building techniques has allowed this transmission to reach several strength levels. The 700R4 can now be built almost anyone’s needs, which spread a wide spectrum from conservative highway vehicles to extreme competitive racing and rock crawling vehicles.
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: TV101
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
Thanks for posting Moose.  I'll be setting mine up in the next few weeks.  This will help out.
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 10:44:40 PM »
I have a few of the 700R4's in my barn....my favorite tranny.  If anyone ever wants to rebuild one...I have a DVD that you could borrow.

Another reason I like installing TPI in my cars...the ECM controls the trans lock-up.

My 33 Chevy engine.....

Ed
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:52:18 PM by EDNY »
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »
To be sure you get the better 1987 or newer 700R4 here is an ID chart:

33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal