Author Topic: Sure it's a showcar but is it safe.  (Read 2934 times)

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
Sure it's a showcar but is it safe.
« on: July 17, 2022, 01:41:07 AM »
Just cause it's a showcar doesn't mean it's safe.
Tons of red flags here. 🚩
https://youtu.be/5oO226PgSkg

A few years ago we had a guy bring in a blown 40's car with an odd front end (Ford Taurus lights) molded in.  🤮
We finished the door panels and carpet. When we went to pull it out.  Upon startup it went to full throttle,  we shut it down immediately and helped the customer to push it out.  Anyhow that car was on it's way to Barrett Jackson in AZ.
He messed with the cheesy throttle cable in the street. 

I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

• Master Deluxe
Re: Sure it's a showcar but is it safe.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 08:51:33 AM »
I 'm sure we all have seen builds out there that are unsafe, I know I have, after building mine I have them inspected by NSRA to make sure didn't miss anything
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 06:18:07 AM by 62131 »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 11:13:29 AM »
I know it was a car video about car guys but almost nothing was said about all the others that were put is danger by these idiots. If you have a 1300 hp engine with a sticking throttle & failing brakes you don't keep driving and punching the throttle in traffic. If I was the person they ran into and had a copy of that video I'd soon have ALL that those two idiots think they own. I appreciate the warning but where is part about the responsibility to others?
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 09:49:35 PM »
Seen that last week. He didn't want to race it and risk doing something dumb. Well he did several things dumb!
If he went through $200k and 2 divorces, he had lots of stall time. A lot of stall time leads to things getting over looked also.
We came to the conclusion that he may not have been a real car guy or just bought late model new stuff. Throttle sticking in parking lot off the get go.....fix it or park it🥴 Hell a sticky throttle on 300hp is bad enough. I as a passenger, would have gotten out 1st time it stuck. So many things wrong with that ride. Both guy's were idiots in this case. Kinda pissed me off they didn't mention what the victoms of their stupidity went through or there condition/damages.

When ever i bought an old car, (usualy 60's early 70's muscle) you checked all, starting with brakes and checking motor mounts. Chevy had a recall on motor mounts in the late 60s and replaced mounts and installed cable torque limiters, (still have several of them i've taken off junk cars). Later they started manufacturing "saftey" motor mounts that had "C" locking metal incorporated into the mount to prevent a broken rubber from coming apart under torque and hanging throttle linkage. Mopar big blocks were terrible about motor mount breaking and hanging throttle.

When i bought my '71 340 Cuda,  i took dad for a ride,( It already had engine chained). Throttle hung @8.5k coming out of 2nd gear. I switched ign off (first try locked steering column🤯) and then kicked clutch in. It was a freyed cable i didn't see in the dark. Went back to town easy and parked it untill new cable got installed.

When i get done with a build a double check everything, then get my buddy Tom to put a second pair of eyes and he goes through everything looking for forgotten things (nuts tight, cotter pins in, leaks etc. I do the same for him. Rare we find anything, but it does happen. Dad tought me to always do a saftey inspection (fluids, lights, suspension peices etc) on cars i was selling also.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 12:23:46 AM »
Sammons is exactly right! Why would these guys have access to youtube or any other place to spew stupidity? Any car with any power should have a DEAD SWiTCH! All cars should have an EMERGENCY BRAKE! I watched a wreck at a Hot August Nights cruse when a guy in an old Vette got his feet tangled while revving his engine and changing lanes. He accelerated into the back of a way over done Fiberglass '37 Ford. A dead man would have prevented it. Hundreds if people were in danger. Putting a powerful engine in neutral in an auto trans or pushing in the clutch in a standard trans while revving is so dangerous. You could see this dufas doing it after he knew there were problems. NO ONE should ever watch one of his videos again. Sorry, I just can't get past the stupidity of these experts.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 02:29:01 AM »
Can't really blame the youtuber.  Yes he should have spoken up or got out.  The blame is with the owner/operator. Obviously he's one of those fake car guys with more money than mechanical sense who did not build the car himself.  2 ex wife's who knew when to bail. 
Another thing to consider is maybe the car wasn't tuned right,  leading to more pushing while idling.
After tuning my carb properly it now has a lower idle  and goes into drive gently without slamming the driveshaft.
The point of him releasing the video was to warn/promote brakes safety and it has done just that.  Other channels are also talking about this as well.  Let's just hope all this sets this guy so back financially he can't ever build another car ever again.
I bet the 2 ex's are laughing at him now.

Anyhow it's a good discussion at this guy's blindness. Every accident has learning lessons. Look at how racing has changed over the years. Nascar-- #3, NHRA---1,000ft .
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 02:41:39 AM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 10:47:04 AM »
I had to go back and watch again. He states he built the car in his garage, but i've heard people say that before. Sometimes it was just their garage used for the build.

I personally didn't get a brake saftey issue out of the video. Operator stupidity, known sticky throttle yes. He probably had good enough brakes for normal operation, but you can't abuse them. I feel it could have gone just as bad if he had 15" rotors. That much horsepower and torque at 2,200 rpm, 45mph riding any brake like that is bad. Larger brakes may have just locked up fronts leaving no steering ability.

He knew he had a throttle sticking issue long before this filming. He also said he just turned rotors. Look at the video in the begining, where it shows front rotors. Sure looks like they are grooved out? To me this says he's been riding those brakes to keep speed down for his sticky throttle for a long time.

I seen on other sites, people discussing the no E brake thing. Yes, every car should have a working E brake. Would it have helped in this situation, my opinion....no. E brakes are designed to hold a car a 0 mph on a hill, not at speed with overriding horsepower at torque. Most E brakes on disc brakes is a little drum with little brake shoes. 
Think about this, on C2/C3 Vetes with discs and automatic trans, the E brake can easily be over powered in reverse at 7-800 rpm and forward over powered at 1000rpm with just a 155 horsepower motor.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 02:05:45 PM »
Here is another fine example of throttle stick panic. Took me a while to find it, 2012 Morro Bay Ca carshow parade. My brother was there down the street, he heard it but didn't see it.

https://youtu.be/9hXMCagemRK

I don't know why that link ain't working, it's still on youtube.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 02:15:43 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 03:25:56 PM »
 This works.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hXMCagemRk

Pretty clear that just front brakes won't defeat runaway power. E-brake wouldn't help much either. This guy had time to use a kill button/switch. I wonder how often this happens? Line up a mile or two of slow moving high power vehicles with at least half of them driven by old guys revving their engines. Some going into neutral & back in gear, some just doing short bursts, others with sticks pushing in the clutch it's a wonder we haven't all liked each other.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 03:38:57 PM by sixball »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 09:39:34 PM »
Thanks Sixball 👍

It happens more often than you would think. I've seen it a lot and has happened to me several times. So many guys never hit that full throttle moving till they are in public thinking its gonna be cool, it hangs and panic. Key is to not panic and kill switch/ neutral. Fix the problem right away.

Before i was legal to drive, dad had me doing stupid stuff so i would learn how to correct the situation and not panic. I thought he was crazy, half the crap he taught me was in the '58 Vette. He said you'll barrow it sometime....do something stupid, and we are gonna have a problem. Another thing he taught me was when your behind anytype of trailer... assume the indicator lights don't work and beware. Always look ahead for possible problems with traffic and have an exit plan (open lane, smooth spot to hit ditch etc) Served me well thru the years😁
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 10:11:08 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 12:24:08 AM »
You are welcome Sammons.

Your dad was right about trailers. Just last week I made a 250 mile run to hall a car for a friend and during the trip I developed a short in the trailer brakes. They would lock up if I touched the pedal. Almost the whole trip was 2 lane lonely highway in the desert. I probably didn't see a dozen cars the whole trip. I unplugged the whole harness and just went for it. I was home by 2 PM. I had spent the evening before making sure I had lights. I still don't know what is wrong. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:26:21 AM by sixball »

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2022, 12:42:52 AM »
They use alot of "scotch-lock fasteners" in trailers  .
Had no brakes on mine last year.  Gravel kicked up hit the harness near the axle and broke the scotch-lock fastener .  Used butt connectors and covered the harness with 2 layers of conduit tubing.

Speaking of throttle sticking.  That GTO I did the vinyl top on had a dead battery and when we put the charger on it,  the owner was pumping the gas and we noticed his air cleaner moving around.
I said "you need to get that fixed " ,ya dont want a stuck throttle. 
Of course more money than brains,  he had no idea.
I have PTSD.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2022, 06:51:58 AM »
Thanks Sixball 👍

It happens more often than you would think. I've seen it a lot and has happened to me several times. So many guys never hit that full throttle moving till they are in public thinking its gonna be cool, it hangs and panic. Key is to not panic and kill switch/ neutral. Fix the problem right away.

Before i was legal to drive, dad had me doing stupid stuff so i would learn how to correct the situation and not panic. I thought he was crazy, half the crap he taught me was in the '58 Vette. He said you'll barrow it sometime....do something stupid, and we are gonna have a problem. Another thing he taught me was when your behind anytype of trailer... assume the indicator lights don't work and beware. Always look ahead for possible problems with traffic and have an exit plan (open lane, smooth spot to hit ditch etc) Served me well thru the years😁

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal