General Category > Early Chevy/GM Discussion

Headlight Bolt Spinning

<< < (2/2)

EDNY:
Remember seeing a demo where the rusty nut was heated until red then a piece of wax was placed on it.  After the smoke cleared the nut came off..I assume the wax penetrated the threads.

Last year my neighbor couldn't get lug nuts off his Suburban, we heated them until cherry red and they still wouldn't spin (air gun). Then we tried getting them red hot again and throwing cold water on them... they spun right off :o

madmike3434:
believe I had this problem partially before.  I would zip cut the nut off from the head light bar.

To get to the rest of it still attached inside the headlight pot, drill out the rivets and separate the bottom mounting plate from head light pot.

Those carriage bolts are strictly automotive and diff square head design than the ones you see at home depot .  They are smaller or larger ??? in the head.  You should be able to use a larger square head design and file down the square and also belt sander on the edges of the head to reduce size so fits down snug.  If you cannot find the automotive ones
I would use a button head allen head instead in its place and pre-tighten it.
 I would also use 10/32 button head allen heads to replace the rivets with nylocks.

I have collected a pair of original 34-35 chev standard head lights to replace the Guide sealed beams I installed in early 70s.  Might have to take them apart as I described here.

Finally got the password to work again, so am back

mike lynch

mike lynch

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version