Miscellaneous > Members Builds - Stocker -Streetrod - Ratrod - LowRider

28 Chevy Roadster

<< < (3/21) > >>

28chevyguy:
looks like i will be dearching / reversing eyes if needed.

chopper526:
I agree with Ed, get the front end where you want it first. I also did all of the things that Madmike suggested.  First, I had the local spring shop make me a new set of springs, front and rear. Too high! I had them shorten the springs and take out some arc. Too high. I had the shop reverse the eyes. Too high. I added 3" lowering blocks to the rear. Perfect! I had the front end out about 5 times and the rear out 3 times before I was satisfied. One thing about lowering blocks, try to buy quality, beefy blocks. The first pair I installed were a thin-walled hollow block. One of the blocks cracked after a very short time. The second set were also hollow but much thicker. No problems with them so far.

madmike3434:
to effectively get the rear to sit right you basically have to have the rear spring totally de-arched until it is flat.

Now getting the front lower using a beam axle , we are talking a whole different animal.  With the 28----thru 32 cars the fender shape in the front is fairly consistent.   The stock drop on a 29--39 axle is about 4" and on a beam axle thats no where near enough to get your girlie "down in the weeds" .

I will post this picture of my 35 coupe when it had a beam axle.  If your doing beam axle I will I will post more how I did its.

mike     8)

28chevyguy:
yes please !

madmike3434:
You will need to acquire 1949--1953 chev passenger car spindles.

The stock 40--54 chev 1/2 ton axle isn't going to get you "down in the weeds"..  You will need a MOR-DROP axle from California with a 3" drop over stock . 

If you elect to go deeper with a 4 1/2 drop , be warned that's what is in the 35 coupe pictured with D70-15 tires about 24" tall.  Depending on the tire you use and height, the 24" tall tire, you could not get over a coke can laying on its side .  The taller the tire the more road axle clearance you have .

To clear your tie road steering bar you may have to space the bar lower using a 3/4" spherical rod end with 1--2" spacer.

The springs in the front can get the the reversed spring eye treatment and the de-arching also after you try the axle in the car and sit on the ground.

I AM NOT SURE if MOR_DROP is still in business ???  I sold my axle after running it on the street from 73---96 to a guy building a T coupe and he was going to use 1/4 eliptic front springs attached to it.  He still has the axle and owes me $300 for it .  I had it also narrowed to 44-46" width by heating and being bent in a forge by mor drop.

I picked up the stock 3"{ drop from mor drop at airport for friend bruce and installed his in my car over a couple of days with his permission.  My problem was width at 49-50" c-c  put the tire right under the fender edge.  It had to be much narrower of the 33--35 chevys to work.  bruces car was a 30 chevy and he installed his with no problem.

When I took car apart in 96 I bought a kugel IFS and installed that.  Still sits that wicked low...see picture and ride height is adjustable with coil over shocks.

mike--------------  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version