Author Topic: Dogs can wear on you.  (Read 2495 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Dogs can wear on you.
« on: November 14, 2023, 06:13:42 PM »
My dog was going thru separation anxiety several weeks ago, don't know what sets him off every 6 months or so. Doggy downers and neck donut got it stopped.
Today...i had a hunger for a hunk of pizza and onion rings from the quick shop. Fed the dog, took him out to do his business, then went and picked up my order. Had a couple onion rings as i ate pizza, on the couch i leaned over to set my pizza box on the coffee table. Spilled 2 rings, hollered at him to get back... he dove in anyway then spilled 2 more. Of course in the blink of an eye he got them too.

I know onions/rings are very toxic for dogs and i'm at least 40 miles from emegency vet. Got on AKC site, they said 3% hydrogen peroxide @ 3-4 table spoons for his weight. They should throw up from 15 to 45 mins. He will get into extra feed some times and throw up, so i feed him again and poured the peroxide down his gullet. Took him out side to walk around, 6 mins in puke, then again 4 more times. I counted all 4 rings, 3 still in tact. 👍  Gave him some water  then he sat down in front of his feed bag staring at it. Sorry buddy, you'll have to wait for dinner time!

At least it worked quick and done. No after effects at all so far. Learn something new every day i guess.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 06:31:03 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Dogs can wear on you.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 11:38:09 AM »
Good save! Glad it turned out well.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 08:06:29 PM »
Great tips here Sammons.  I had no idea on both but now know what to do incase Sugar gets into those.  She definitely looks for our approval before eating floor food.  I'll tap my foot 3x near the food and then she can have at it.
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 09:30:47 PM »
Thanks sixball. I'm glad i got it out of him before any damage, they say 2 hours is about max. I was pretty sure after the rest of the day, that he was safe to let him in my bedroom without puking or getting the squirts.😁

Rattiac, my dog is not to bright 😄 Pending which website you go on, the dosage is between 1/2 and 1 teaspoon per 5lbs of dog weight. Maximum of 3 tablespoons for dogs over 45lb.
I knew onions and chocolate were big no no's, but there are so many. Allium/nightshade family plants, (onion, garlic, chive etc. Avacado, fruit seeds, (apple,cherri etc). Normally my dogs get nothing but their dog food. I don't do treats, although my old golden i use to share accasional raisin/ popcorn. But found out rasins and grapes... another no no. Hell found out icecream is bad as dogs are lactose intolerant🥴

Was surprised when my Vet recomended Benadryl for his allergie, baby asprin for pain, and Trazadone(people or doggy downer) for anxiety, from vet visits, loud noise (fireworks, thunderstorms, and before i take him for a vet visit). He came by his name Rowdy for a reason i guess. Vet said give him 300mg 2hrs before i get him there🤯 I give him 200mg once pic below, pretty much a sleep.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 09:32:34 PM by sammons »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 12:05:32 PM »
Scary episode with Rowdy day before yesterday. He was napping on his blanket beside the couch, i was laying on couch watching tv. All of a sudden he jumped up like something bit him on the butt. Came to me then the end of the couch and got up beside me. I rubbed his head and he got this really scared look and all 4 of his legs went into hard shaking. I got up and got him down, he couldn't stand up all the way. I got him in the garage and laid down, legs still in tremor mode. He just kept looking at me like WTH? I kept him calm, petting and talking to him till it passed. The whole thing probably only lasted 2 minutes, felt longer. I kept him down a few mins after his legs quit shaking. He slowly got up and sat beside me for couple more mins, then i took him out to pee. All has been fine since.

Was talking to my stepdad this morn, he said he's had dogs that had a really bad dream do similar. He asked if he was alert the whole time. Yes he was,  just legs only shaking. He said dogs generally shake all over if it was a seizure and wouldn't really be alert. Danged if I know? I know he hes crossed into Senior dog stats at 8 yrs old, so in the next year or two problems usually start. My first Golden got bone cancer and put down at 7.5 yrs old. Duke, (The Inspector), was 10 before any problems. Started with hip popping, a spell of pancreitis at 11, then turned to cancer at 12.5 yrs. Then the mouth cancer as it slowly spread. Put him down just into 13.

I hope this doesn't lead to bad things to come.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 12:12:23 PM »
Hoping Rowdy does OK!
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 01:22:36 PM »
Glad he seems OK. I have had dogs come for comfort after a bad dream but not that severe. I wonder of they know it was a dream? Many years ago one of our dogs had seizures as an effect of a rattlesnake bite. the vet prescribed a medication she had to take the rest of her life. ALL of my dogs except the newest one have been bitten by ratters but none of the others had that issue but some treatments have changed since then. I can't imagine not having a dog. I need the unconditional love. I know it's not that I am lovable it is just who dogs are.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 02:03:26 PM »
Thanks, Tom. Everthing is still fine, although he is really sticking close to me these past few days.

Sixball, i have no idea what this little guy went thru the first 5.5 years of his life. All i can say is over the past 2.5 years, he has came along way from that timid untrusting sole that i got back then. I think i mentioned 2 months after getting him i had dug out what i think was small buckshot from his left rear side. Could he have been dreaming of his past? I couldn't say.

But... as much companionship, entertainment and my
shadow, this will be the last dog i have😑 It's just too hard on me keeping up with him these days. I dread the thought of not having a dog. Out of all the dogs i've had, the Goldens are the most fun, easy going. But a whole lotta work cleaning up after them..  daily!

Just a small part of daily upkeep.
https://youtube.com/shorts/u3mKsRehzRc?si=1Zd9duJfwSelugnN

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 08:36:13 PM »
Hope Rowdy is OK.
I've seen that same thing 3 times.  2 with Max and Sugar did it a few weeks ago.
I started looking for a bug or spider. 😉
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2023, 04:30:09 PM »
Rattiac i guess if your dogs have done it to, i won't be too concerned. I've never seen a dogs legs shake like that. Seen a scared dog leg shake from meeting strangers though. Brothers friend growing up had a poodle that had distemper, now that was a bad site. Wobbling all over and falling down constantly🥴

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2023, 11:38:40 AM »
In the 50s before most dogs saw a vet or got shots all threes of our sheep dogs got rabies at almost the same time. Things got lively for a while. Our newest dog is a rescue. I don't know here full story but she likes constant reassurance and a discouraging word shakes her confidence. Her legs shake when she is scared but she is half Boxer so there is always leg shaking & dancing going on. The her half is some type of short hair pointer. There is a lot of inner conflict going on in her, but she is a real sweetie. She brought a fear of loud noise, thunder, shooting,......and taught it to our other dog. 

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal