General Category > GM Tech Questions and Answers

Door Panel Material And Thickness

(1/3) > >>

TFoch:
I'm looking at making some inner door panels for my 33.  What material and thickness would you recommend?
Rattiac, any tips and tricks?

62131:
On my 38 I used panel board; I believe it was 3/16 thk, I purchased it from a local interior shop on my 32 I used a 1/8" luan 4x8 sheet that I found at a local lumber yard, they keep it for use on houseboat repairs

Essex_29:
I used 3/16" plywood on my Pontiac. It's stiff, but not too stiff, and it's fairly easy to work
with. Also it takes staples well. 4 mm staples in my case.

When I got the holes for the crank and latch handle drilled I put the panel on the door and drilled holes for
generic plastic interior retainers. The ones I used had a big flat head, and the stem had like thin fins to keep
them in a hole. Like this:

So as the interior panel was held in its place, I drilled the holes through the plywood and into the door. Removed
the panel, then pushed the retainers into the plywood, stapled the door covering material on the panel, and then
just had to aim the retainers into the holes in the door, and give every retainer a bump with my fist. Very
straightforward, and no visible screws or such. I assume that kind of retainers can be found at your auto parts shop.

62131:
The christmas tree push pins Essex's is describing can be purchased in bulk off Ebay, there you will find a large assortment

Rattiac:
We use the (black) panel board 3/16. I believe it's water proof/resistant. 
If you can't find it the 1/8" Luan will do. You can use some clear plastic to set up to the door and draw out your pattern , mounting holes and such. 
Lowe's has a decent selection of  Xmas tree clips  in various sizes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version