General Category > GM Tech Questions and Answers

'20s-early '30s Radiator shell emblem replacement

(1/3) > >>

sixball:
Does anyone here know how to remove the early Chevy Bowtie emblems from the radiator shells without destroying them? I read on the Vintage Chevrolet site that it is a "friction" fit. Do they simply push in? I saw one picture that looked like the round piece on the back is soldered on.

I would like to use the nice emblem in my '27 shell in my '26 shell without screwing up anything. I'm afraid to experiment.

https://vccachat.org/ubbthreads.php/topics/457397/1927-grille-emblem-install-help.html#Post457397

EDNY:
Have no idea...but I suspect those emblems are made of metal something like pewter that is soft and after the enamel is applied they are just press fit.  That soft metal gets brittle as it ages...maybe one of those old time plating shops can help?

Like this link I posted a few day ago:    http://www.cmrchromeplating.com/

RoarsRods:
Sixball there basically a snap spring clip fits to the grille! If you’re having problems getting it removed then you need to WD40 it!
Here’s my 34 Chevrolet grille and again just a snap spring clip! Plus I also added two small screws for attachments because I don’t need to have the emblem pop off!

sixball:
Thanks, I see that at least some of the repos have a threaded stud and nut but I want to use the pretty nice old one I have. I have not done any measurements yet but the hole in the '26 shell looks very close to the size of the protrusion on the emblem. I started soaking it a few days ago. I'll use a soft brush to remove loose dirt and rust on the '27 shell and see if I can get a little movement. The protrusion is not soft like lead. It does not want to bend and I don't want to break it. Thanks for the help!

62131:
I used the repo on my 32  the threaded stud is glued on and not very well :(  I end up using panel adhesive to put the stud back on then applied two sided tape and didn't tighten to tight to attach it   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version