General Category > GM Tech Questions and Answers

Cam timing

(1/1)

themoose:
Jef

Do you ever play around with cam timing or do you always run it at zero.

Moose

Cool53:
Good question. First of all, with the last several engines I have built, plus cam changes, not one of them installed straight up. Even the new cam in my truck dialed in 7 degrees advanced. So first I make the necessary adjustments to get the plus or minus one degree to straight up.
I leave the cam timing straight up to begin with then move it a couple of degrees at a time to make up for launch or top end. My truck is great in the right, not so great in the second eighth. It's a little engine in a fairly heavy truck with lousy aerodynamics. Because the truck launches fairly well I decided to make an ignition timing modification just past half track by retarding the timing 5 degrees. That got me 3 mph. But that's my truck.
To see just what cam timing changes result in check this out. You may want to print this out and keep it handy.
http://www.compcams.com/Technical/FAQ/LSAproperties.asp

If you get into moving the cam around you may want to run a Jesel or Comp system that adjusts with an Allen wrench.  Still work, though. An open belt drive system s what I will run with my new short block.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version