General Category > GM Tech Questions and Answers

Transmission Cooler

(1/1)

EDNY:
Jef

I understand for an everyday driver positioning of the oil cooler depends on where you live. For example if you are up north (Winter) you might locate the cooler before the radiator so warm transmission enters the tranny from the radiator, down south or for Summer (AKA Hotrod season) the trans cooler should be located to cool the fluid from the radiator and before it enters the tranny?

Question:

On my 33 Chevy coupe I located an inline trans cooler along the frame (outside) for my 700R4.  Just using the cooler and not running the lines through the radiator. The 700R4 will lock-up via the ECM...am I good to go?

Thanks
Ed

Cool53:
Trans temp will give you the absolute answer.  I find the Derale trans cooler with built in fan and thermostat can be mounted almost anywhere and on the hottest days, cruising, it will keep TGIF trans under 210 degrees. The torque converter clutch when applied lowers trans temp on cruising about 75 degrees. If you are fooling around, pulling holes shots, racing, etc., the temps will go up pretty high, so that is a deciding factor. In any case, the cooler needs air moving through it whenever the fluid gets hot, and traffic will make for hot fluid. The higher the rear axle ratio the more heat you'll make with the converter, also. Most trans heat is developed GeForce stall speed has been attained, another reason to pick the right converter. But the bottom Lind is temp. That's the only thing that will let you know if the cooler and mounting is adequate. Mind is flat, under the bed of my truck. Even though it has a fan I still keep it where there is plenty of air moving around it.

Cool53:
I hate spell check. I don't know where the TGIF came from, should have been the. Duh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version