Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pump Shut-Off  (Read 7832 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Electric Fuel Pump Shut-Off
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 10:30:45 PM »
Attached the instructions for your EFI setup....looks like the blue wire Pin C is the wire you need to (switch) before it gets to the fuel pump.

Are you going to use the EFI to turn on cooling fans?

I wasn't planning on it, currently I have it on a temperature switch in the intake controlling the fan relay, also it's wired to come  on when I turn on the a/c

You should be fine that way..on my 94 Chevy truck with TPI I have a manual fan and don't even have an electric fan. Don't know if you have the 8 or 10 pin EFI but to have the fan come on via the ECM you would just need to remove the current intake switch wire and hook it up to the Pin C wire on the 10 pin connector - it (ECM) would then supply the ground the current relay you must already have. That's something you can consider once the car is up and running.  I assume you have a single speed electric fan.

Yes it's Spal 16" single speed fan

Looking at the diagram..you'll need to install their temp sending unit to control the ecm (open/closed loop).  If you decide to keep your existing fan setup...you'll need to install their supplied sending unit also.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 08:25:07 AM »
I was planning on using the port on the passage side head to install that sending unit.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 10:50:18 AM »
I was planning on using the port on the passage side head to install that sending unit.

That'll work.

Bought a Honda motorcycle to part out and connected a very small LED to it's electric fuel pump...just to let me know when the pump was on while I was trying to start it after sitting in storage for years.  Maybe something to consider for your project..the LEDs are really small and draw minimal current..in a no start situation you would know whether or not the pump has power.

I put a small LED (1/4") on my dash of my 33 Chevy to let me know when the torque converter locks up. May just run one from the fuel pump also.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
Looking at the diagram..you'll need to install their temp sending unit to control the ecm (open/closed loop).  If you decide to keep your existing fan setup...you'll need to install their supplied sending unit also.

Ed , I'm assuming that Holley is using a heated wide band 02 sensor which should signal the ECM to go into closed loop well before the coolant sensor would. I wonder why they use the coolant sensor for this input.
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »

Ed , I'm assuming that Holley is using a heated wide band 02 sensor which should signal the ECM to go into closed loop well before the coolant sensor would. I wonder why they use the coolant sensor for this input.

From instructions looks like the self learning (air fuel ratio) doesn't kick in until the engine hits 160 degrees F.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »
From instructions looks like the self learning (air fuel ratio) doesn't kick in until the engine hits 160 degrees F.

I guess because system isn't concerned about catalytic converter performance the PCM is controlling injector pulse width in open loop based on the criteria that is pre programmed  into the system when you run the setup procedure based on you engine and installed components such as displacement, camshaft ect. Once the coolant reaches the temp that you mentioned the system goes into closed loop and monitors real time data from the such as 02 sensor voltage, tps ,RPM and manifold vacuum to control fuel delivery rates with engine performance being the goal  rather than the controlling emissions  which are lowest at the stoichiometric ruel ratio of 14.7 to 1. A richer mixture will give better performance and run cooler so is a win/win on a performance engine. I never really looked at the Holley system in much detail before but it looks like a pretty simple and effective system. Now you’ve got my wheels turning….I wonder how the 32 would like a transplant.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 10:41:16 PM »

I guess because system isn't concerned about catalytic converter performance the PCM is controlling injector pulse width in open loop based on the criteria that is pre programmed  into the system when you run the setup procedure based on you engine and installed components such as displacement, camshaft ect. Once the coolant reaches the temp that you mentioned the system goes into closed loop and monitors real time data from the such as 02 sensor voltage, tps ,RPM and manifold vacuum to control fuel delivery rates with engine performance being the goal  rather than the controlling emissions  which are lowest at the stoichiometric ruel ratio of 14.7 to 1. A richer mixture will give better performance and run cooler so is a win/win on a performance engine. I never really looked at the Holley system in much detail before but it looks like a pretty simple and effective system. Now you’ve got my wheels turning….I wonder how the 32 would like a transplant.

That Holley EFI system appears to be first class, as you know the use of the wideband sensor versus the singleband sensor allows for really accurate air/fuel ratio adjustment (voltage range). My TPI engines only use the singleband one wire O2 sensor (non heated) so on cool days it can float from open to closed loop and the 1227730 ecm just can't make the precise fuel/air that the Holley system does.  I can always adapt a  3/4 wire up stream O2 sensor if need be, but I'm heading toward the LS family anyway.  The Holley EFI looks to be a well engineered system.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »
Ed...Can't you get your prom re-burned to possibly work better with your application?

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
Ed...Can't you get your prom re-burned to possibly work better with your application?

Yes...I can do it myself..just need to wire in a wideband sensor and datalog..the problem is the car isn't on the road, maybe this year.  The 1227730 ecm works with the one volt O2 single wire sensor..the wideband sensors operate with five volt range. I just started flashing MEMCAL's and the OBD1 LT1 ecm's and having fun.

Have TPI in my 33 Chevy and 94 Chevy truck and burned both proms to disabled EGR, VATS etc. I have several bins from buddies with adjusted fuel trims and am using the Super AUJP bin.

Flashed a few LT1 ecm's also. What's neat about the LT1 is that you can go to FBODYTECH.com enter your engine data, gear ratio, driveline info etc and download a custom bin for free. It's works well, for my son's car I just changed the electric fan(s) kick on temps since we installed a 160 degree thermostat.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2017, 01:06:19 PM »
Well Ed , the way things are going these days maybe you should re-enable VATS ;)

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:58 PM »
Had to cut my new tank and install a flat recessed area on the top of the tank so that the fuel pump flange would set flat. The way the top of the tank is made there's not enough of a flat area to mount the pump flange flat. Hope to get it tig welded  tomorrow. I'll post pictures soon.                                               

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »
Had to cut my new tank and install a flat recessed area on the top of the tank so that the fuel pump flange would set flat. The way the top of the tank is made there's not enough of a flat area to mount the pump flange flat. Hope to get it tig welded  tomorrow. I'll post pictures soon.                                               

I have a feeling your're going to like that system...does that fuel pump unit have a return line built into it?

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 09:45:57 PM »
Yes it does, there's even a port for a vent fitting and a sump for the pre filter to set in to prevent starvation of the pump.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2017, 04:36:37 PM »
Here's some picture's of my tank with the new opening for the fuel pump.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:44:05 PM by 62131 »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 09:31:19 PM »
Just received my Car Craft (May 2017) magazine today..there is a write up on the Holley Sniper EFI (page 34). Didn't get a chance to read it yet....

Just noticed the story was also posted at:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/test-holleys-new-sniper-efi/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:33:48 PM by EDNY »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal