Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pump Shut-Off  (Read 7831 times)

• Master Deluxe
Electric Fuel Pump Shut-Off
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:44:57 PM »
Does anyone have ideals about a shut-off circuit for an electric fuel pump due to a line that might burst or an accident?   

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: Electric Fuel Pump Shut-Off
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:57:57 PM »
Mid 80's early 90's FoMoCo(Crown Vic,Mustg, etc)had real simple inertia switches mounted in the trunk, usually under package tray or qtr panel inner reinforcment strap.  Any jolt shuts them down.
That should cover accedent, then an additional manual cut off in line (bottom of dash?)for other troubles when you have time to react
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:02:32 PM by sammons »

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 10:02:09 PM »
Found that one and one that works off oil pressure switch in case fuel line rupture

madmike3435

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 11:18:18 PM »
I have been running the old stewart warner 240A 12V electric fuel pump since 1970 in my coupe and I use an on off switch under the seat and also as a theft prevention device.

the automatic shut off ford device sounds like an excellent idea.

mike        8)

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:11:23 AM »
I'm thinking of safety issues here. if your in an accident and can't turn the pump off it can spray fuel and cause a fire. or if a fuel line ruptures it can spray fuel on hot component's. Just want to be safe.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 08:40:03 AM »
Stock cars will have a centrally located and labeled fuel shut off valve in case of a wreck so the track crew can just reach in and turn off the fuel.

Like Mike mentioned you can easily mount a power switch to cut the fuel off. The Ford cars have bump switches in the trunk, they have a simple reset button.

If you want to get serious you could install a full electrical shut down switch like the one attached...shuts everything down and prevents electrical fires that could spread or ignite spilled fuel.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 08:58:15 AM »
I had the inertia switch on my '66 Mustang. When I got finished painting and was putting the wheels back on, I released the floor jack too fast(hands givin me fits) and bounced down. The car wouldn't start, scratched my head a bit before i remembered to check inertia switch ;D
 Same car a year and a half later, just heading out of town and smelled fuel. Pulled over and shut off. Short rubber line just past the frame rail fuel filter had blown a hole and was spraying on the rear of the headers. Grabbed a plastic cup out of the ditch, wedged behind line to deflect the fuel to get back to the shop.Note, still had enough pressure to run the EFI. I don't know how sensitive the fuel pressure switch would be, but I would darn sure install the toggle (manual elect on/off) switch. Some times the nose knows first! ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 09:19:02 AM by sammons »

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »
I have a oil pressure cutoff switch in my 32. The pump will only run if the engine is running of if the starter is engaged. If you do try to use this setup a word of caution. When I first built the car I used a Delco switch because after working for GM for a number if years and and being with their pressure shutoff switches that were used in production on some models I felt confident with it. That didn't last long because it failed soon after getting the car on the road leaving me on the side of the road swearing and scratching my head. Luckily I had a test light with me and was able to determine that the pressure switch had failed and was able to bypass it to get home. I got a warranty replacement from my GM parts manager and it also failed within 500 miles. I didn't want to give up the safety factor of this setup so I did some research and found that GM was now outsourcing the switches overseas and they were crap. In talking with a GM engineer that I know I was told to use a pressure switch that GM was using in their Diesel industrial engines because they were designed for use is severe conditions and were overly engineered . I put one in and have not had any problems for over 6 years now. Take a look at the .PDF file attached for the tech data..

Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 09:04:33 PM »
I have a oil pressure cutoff switch in my 32. The pump will only run if the engine is running of if the starter is engaged. If you do try to use this setup a word of caution. When I first built the car I used a Delco switch because after working for GM for a number if years and and being with their pressure shutoff switches that were used in production on some models I felt confident with it. That didn't last long because it failed soon after getting the car on the road leaving me on the side of the road swearing and scratching my head. Luckily I had a test light with me and was able to determine that the pressure switch had failed and was able to bypass it to get home. I got a warranty replacement from my GM parts manager and it also failed within 500 miles. I didn't want to give up the safety factor of this setup so I did some research and found that GM was now outsourcing the switches overseas and they were crap. In talking with a GM engineer that I know I was told to use a pressure switch that GM was using in their Diesel industrial engines because they were designed for use is severe conditions and were overly engineered . I put one in and have not had any problems for over 6 years now. Take a look at the .PDF file attached for the tech data..

Moose did you use this in the fuel line or oil pressure from the engine, do you have a wiring diagram by chance , which switch did you use. I'm sure there's a relay involved I'm wanting to include the Ford inertia switch that Sammons is talking in the circuitry and that should give me  a safety cut off for both condition of a fuel link and collision. I hope I'm not over thinking this. 

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 09:31:05 PM »
Moose did you use this in the fuel line or oil pressure from the engine, do you have a wiring diagram by chance , which switch did you use. I'm sure there's a relay involved I'm wanting to include the Ford inertia switch that Sammons is talking in the circuitry and that should give me  a safety cut off for both condition of a fuel link and collision. I hope I'm not over thinking this. 

You use the oil pressure from the engine , that way if the engine shuts off because of an accident or a ruptured line causing the arbitrator or FI to starve for fuel thus killing the engine the fuel pump will shot off due to lack or pressure to the switch. One lead on the NC post goes to the starter which allows the pump to run while the starter is cranking. Once the engine starts the switch opens the NC contacts and closes the NO circuit allowing the pump to run with voltage supplied from the ignition circuit. I used switch number 5A because I'm using a high pressure oil pump that will never drop below 14lbs at idle and has a max pressure of 150psi which is more than enough for what the max of my oil pump will ever produce. Depending on you oil pressure you might want to go with the one of the lower pressure ones to make sure the pump doesn't shut off at idle. They all have at least a 150 lb over pressure rating so you don't have to worry about damaging the switch with a high perf pump.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »
Attached the instructions for your EFI setup....looks like the blue wire Pin C is the wire you need to (switch) before it gets to the fuel pump.

Are you going to use the EFI to turn on cooling fans?

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »
If the fuel pump circuit is wired correctly whether it be a carbureated or FI system it should go through a relay. All you need to do is wire the OP cutoff switch in line with switched side of the relay and it will work correctly and as Ed said ,according to the FI wiring in your case it will be the blue wire. Really simple to do...

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 09:59:57 PM »
Attached the instructions for your EFI setup....looks like the blue wire Pin C is the wire you need to (switch) before it gets to the fuel pump.

I wasn't planning on it, currently I have it on a temperature switch in the intake controlling the fan relay, also it's wired to come  on when I turn on the a/c   

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 10:12:39 PM »

I wasn't planning on it, currently I have it on a temperature switch in the intake controlling the fan relay, also it's wired to come  on when I turn on the a/c

You should be fine that way..on my 94 Chevy truck with TPI I have a manual fan and don't even have an electric fan. Don't know if you have the 8 or 10 pin EFI but to have the fan come on via the ECM you would just need to remove the current intake switch wire and hook it up to the Pin C wire on the 10 pin connector - it (ECM) would then supply the ground the current relay you must already have. That's something you can consider once the car is up and running.  I assume you have a single speed electric fan.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 10:25:33 PM »

You should be fine that way..on my 94 Chevy truck with TPI I have a manual fan and don't even have an electric fan. Don't know if you have the 8 or 10 pin EFI but to have the fan come on via the ECM you would just need to remove the current intake switch wire and hook it up to the Pin C wire on the 10 pin connector - it (ECM) would then supply the ground the current relay you must already have. That's something you can consider once the car is up and running.  I assume you have a single speed electric fan.

Yes it's Spal 16" single speed fan

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal