Author Topic: 34-35 Standard dash question  (Read 4965 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
34-35 Standard dash question
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:20:28 PM »
Where would be the correct mounting position of these dashes? As the wood was long gone before I got the body, I think the dash had a gap of about a 1/8" (between windshield lip and dash) and if I recall the sides should be flush with the door jamb? I am trying to figure out where to mount my defroster vents, so I also need to know how wide the windshield garnish molding is at the bottom. (I don't have any yet) I'll be cutting a slot in them for the air flow.

Edit** I went down to the shop and grabbed the only garnish molding I have (Right rear quarter glass-'34 std 2dr sedan). Is the windshied garnish the same width? About 1 3/8".

Long story short, I may have to mount the dash out just a tad. Maybe not if I have room. The Vintage Air ducts are a straight shot down (tube connection) and won't work. Found my defroster duct stash and found two with a turnout that I will use to clear the backside of the dash.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:58:11 PM by sammons »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
Re: 34-35 Standard dash question
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »
Where would be the correct mounting position of these dashes? As the wood was long gone before I got the body, I think the dash had a gap of about a 1/8" (between windshield lip and dash) and if I recall the sides should be flush with the door jamb? I am trying to figure out where to mount my defroster vents, so I also need to know how wide the windshield garnish molding is at the bottom. (I don't have any yet) I'll be cutting a slot in them for the air flow.

Edit** I went down to the shop and grabbed the only garnish molding I have (Right rear quarter glass-'34 std 2dr sedan). Is the windshied garnish the same width? About 1 3/8".

Long story short, I may have to mount the dash out just a tad. Maybe not if I have room. The Vintage Air ducts are a straight shot down (tube connection) and won't work. Found my defroster duct stash and found two with a turnout that I will use to clear the backside of the dash.
===================================================

First off, that's a 1934 Chevrolet MASTER SERIES dash panel, which is same width as a 34-35 std and a 33 master.  Its be a long time since I had my dash panel removed from the car.  Its should have a piece of wood that runs under where the windshield molding goes so that it has something to be screwed into.

Same applies to the dash panel, it mounts on top of that same wood piece with screws . At the end are 2 L brackets ( one each side ) and they mount to the posts and then they mount the dash panel.   1/4...5/16 or 3/8 ????  BUTTON HEAD allen heads are best look.  I am pretty sure there is a pair of those brackets listed under 34 chev on ebay now or just was.

I am not sure if the dash panel goes over the wood and also over the metal that holds the windshield molding.

Its completely different on my roadster..

mike

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »
the brackets got sold on ebay for $25 for pair , this is what they look like.

mike

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 05:35:58 PM »
Mike, I still have those brackets. I'm not using wood under it, so I was wondering if the dash ended up flush with the door jamb as in my pic. On my 34 master 5-w, I recall there being a gap ( as pictured) between the dash and the windshield tab. I also need to know the approx width of the garnish moulding so I can shoot for the middle to make the defroster opening in it.

Sorry if i'm not making sense, the pain killers are screwing with me today! :-\
the only pics I have are of a '34 master 2dr sedan I tried to buy several years ago outside of town. The wood has almost all rotted from sitting out side since 1943. The dash apears to be down and in at the bottom.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:24:57 PM by sammons »

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 06:22:42 PM »
Here's the best I can do for now, not much free time for me today, I'm working until late tonight.
I'll throw up some pics, and check back after work or in the morning to see if they help.
Gold Chainers CC                President                            New Zealand Chapter

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
More...
Gold Chainers CC                President                            New Zealand Chapter

Kiwijeff

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 06:25:49 PM »
Crappy pics, here's two more.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 06:37:28 PM »
Thanks Jeff, it looks like the dash is flush with the door jamb originaly. I'll try and have my buddy translate the tape from mm? (Garnish 25mm)To inches. It looks like the garnish moulding is inset about 1/8" from the face of the dash.

What is the distance of the garnish moulding to the windshield opening? Guessing I would say about a 1/2"?  Second pic too blury to read on my phone. I know, two different worlds of messurements. Lol  :D

No hurry, thanks             

I had a Foreign tape around somewhere, i'll try and find it!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:47:36 PM by sammons »

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 08:05:54 PM »
Mike, I still have those brackets. I'm not using wood under it, so I was wondering if the dash ended up flush with the door jamb as in my pic. On my 34 master 5-w, I recall there being a gap ( as pictured) between the dash and the windshield tab. I also need to know the approx width of the garnish moulding so I can shoot for the middle to make the defroster opening in it.

Sorry if i'm not making sense, the pain killers are screwing with me today! :-\
the only pics I have are of a '34 master 2dr sedan I tried to buy several years ago outside of town. The wood has almost all rotted from sitting out side since 1943. The dash apears to be down and in at the bottom.

Yes, dash sides sits flush with door posts, back about 3/8" for the whipcord to seal against wind noise.  The bottom of dash is straight across and if you put a level on the sides where it meets the posts its straight up and down.  The actual face of the dash , as you can see in one of your pictures,  does lay on an angle backwards.

I had my coupe parked outside and running in cold air today while I swept up garage floor of metal bits.  See if I can get it out again tomorrow and take some pictures and figure out where dash and windshield garish molding sit.  Maybe reach up underneath and feel how wide the wood support is.  Your going to put metal in there aren't you ?

mike

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 08:22:22 PM »
Thanks Mike! Yes I'm putting metal where the wood use to be, that's the easy part ;D

I want to get the dash as close as possible to the orig placement. But knowing where there is room for the defrost vent is my current problem. I don't have the money right now for the garnish molding set (fiberglass from Superior Glass) and i'll still need to extend the winshield garnish (width).  But I need to know all this before I can make my new gauge cluster set up. ( distance between insert and column)

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 11:44:43 PM »
Thanks Mike! Yes I'm putting metal where the wood use to be, that's the easy part ;D

I want to get the dash as close as possible to the orig placement. But knowing where there is room for the defrost vent is my current problem. I don't have the money right now for the garnish molding set (fiberglass from Superior Glass) and i'll still need to extend the winshield garnish (width).  But I need to know all this before I can make my new gauge cluster set up. ( distance between insert and column)

With the wood in there it would not allow the defrost vents to fit.  I put my 2 onto felcro and attached them to the side of the cowl panels and if I had to use one I would pry it off and direct warm air at the windshield.

I have had this car for 45 years and only a couple of times have I required defrosters.  Generally I had a wipe down towel for waxing/dusting and used that to de-fog the windshield.

If you watch ebay on a regular basis you should be able to find and win a couple of windshield frames to make it 7 1/2 " ? wider  Has to be cheaper than fiberglass parts ?

The windshield rubber is about 3/4" thick..= glass 1/4" + 1/4" rubber to outside + 1/4" rubber to inside that sits on that piece of metal in one of the pictures you posted .  The windshield garish molding presses tight against the rubber + glass.

mike     8)

HERE IS A COUPLE OF PICTURES FROM THE POST EDNY MADE LAST YEAR.

the chrome trim around the windshield rubber for 34 masters has never been reproduced and I have never seen it in person on an un-restored car.

here is also the dash panel with the windshield garish molding pushing tightly against it with a small gap between dash and garish molding as shown.  I do not know if a 34 standard garish molding is the same width as a 34 master.
mike
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 09:50:11 AM by madmike3434 »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 07:56:24 AM »
Sammons

Here is the link to a post you started...FYI I bought about 25 feet of the glass seal mentioned in my response and can send a sample if you want a piece.

http://rustybowtie.com/index.php?topic=834.0

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »
Thanks Ed, I forgot Cocobolo posted those. Thanks for the offer on the rubber gasket sample, but i can go off the pic for size. Just need to know if that is the short outer lip or long?

Thanks Mike. That '34 Master has sat outside, moved around from pasture to pasture then to the coral and out again. It had to be in good shape when parked in 1943. The 'ol boy that has it will not sell it. His folks got married in it, so he honers it by letting the weather and cattle tear it appart. It was still intack in the early 80's when I first saw it while hunting. Damn shame.

Jeff is that garnish 25.4 mm or so, that should convert to 1" wide?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:33:57 AM by sammons »

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »
Sammons.... I  received the spears ,and  again thanks a lot ........

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »
Sammons.... I  received the spears ,and  again thanks a lot ........

You bet FATnLOW, glad I could help. Hope you can do something with them.  Haha, I wonder if there metal scanner went Ape! ;D

Thanks fellas, I have it all dialed in now. Pleanty of room for the defrost vents!
Thank you all  :)  Sammons
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:07:56 PM by sammons »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal