Author Topic: Rear spring replacement  (Read 8484 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Rear spring replacement
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »
Ed,

On my 27 I did exactly what your describing.

Front spring mount from S-10 bolted to frame.

I widened the rear stock mount by brazing on the additional wiidth with a piece from another mount.
Then I reamed the center and bushed it with a full width bushing.

Stock rear shackles reamed and new bolts.

I swapped the springs front for back to position the axel in the correct place. I did have the advantage of building the body so I tweaked fender position. But not much.

The part that is hard to belive is the s-10 spring pads lined up and had 3 degree pinion angle. I had allready bought pads but didn't need them!

I just use 2 leaves because the car is so light.

Shocks iinstalled as stock with the upper mount being a new 2"  square tubing crossmember.

It worked for me an rides smoother than I expected.

You know the more I look at the kits, the more frustrated I get, none of the kits are exactly as I prefer.

Looking at my 1995 S10 2wd reg cab truck..the springs would be too long..but the springs from a 1998 4dr Blazer axle (have one out) are about 49" eye to eye..very close to the stock 37 Chevy spring length.

My concern is the final ride height...the Blazer springs have about an 8" drop using a straight edge across the eyes.  That seems excessive for my needs. Maybe I need to find a similar Blazer around here and look at the spring arch loaded. The local spring shop does not recommend de-arching S10 (Blazer) springs.

I like the S10 springs because they are 2.5" wide.  The spring pads would be the last part welded after setting up final pinion angle.  May need to look under a few cars around here...at one time I briefly considered the Astro van mono (fiberglass?) leafs.

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 11:41:49 PM »
When I built a '39 Chevy .. I went to a salvage yard and got all the spring components ,,springs,front and rear spring perches u-bolts,and bottom plate from a Nissan pickup..can't remember the year model the pickup was.  Worked well for me. I  Left the front end higher than I wanted due to a steep driveway that I had

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 12:01:12 AM »
nothing wrong with the way that 39 sits, if it had a bumper in front would appear lower.

mike

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 07:27:38 AM »
I agree with Madmike there's nothing wrong with the stance on that 39, you know the price of the kits may seem high but you don't have to go thru all the stress to try and figure out what will and will not work and mistakes cost too.

FATnLOW

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:39 AM »
I agree with you  62131,,, I have used   kits on my last 2 builds from Chassis Engineering and have bee very satisfied with the outcome.....but for a guy whose budget can not afford to put the money out ..there are donors out there that will work on their projects, you just got to do your research and get it done.  On that 39  I  "repurposed"    the front end with OEM  Mustang II, Rear spring set up  from a  Nissan.  Brakes  system with booster and entire brake lines from a Midsize chevy , Wiring  harness from  Chevy Malibu , rear end  from a Nova , drive line and trans support from a chevy  and did not have any trouble on the road.  This was a Low budget build that afforded me to do more of the eye candy projects...paint and interior
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:46:28 AM by FATnLOW »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 11:10:17 AM »
Ed  The springs on the 1989 Dodge D-50 are 2-3/4 inches wide of which there are three

Wayne..do you know the eye to eye length by chance? 

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 02:54:03 PM »
Ed by chance i just went outside and measured  i did take the springs off of the rear just before the last snowfall but had them on the edges of the skidoo trailer  Eye center to Eye center is 44-1/2 inches.in its relaxed state

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »
Ed these are 2-3/4 inches wide two leaves plus a helper. So my take is you would need something like i attached so that you could run 2-3/4 inch leaves where the eye is only 1-3/4 inches.The first pic I would take them apart and swicth them so that they were offset top to bottom not side to side vette59jdwl

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 03:40:07 PM »
Ed by chance i just went outside and measured  i did take the springs off of the rear just before the last snowfall but had them on the edges of the skidoo trailer  Eye center to Eye center is 44-1/2 inches.in its relaxed state

Thanks...

I crawled under the 37 sedan today and did my best to get a proper spring measurement in the dark barn.  From the spring clamping bolt center to the front and center of the eye I got 24.5" -AND- the same measurement on the back half?  That was done using a flexible yard stick alongside the springs, with flashlight, freezing, while watching for hibernating skunks and raccoons.

So the stock 37 Chevy springs add up real close to 49" measured along the sides (eye to eye) and probably are reversible.

Ed

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 03:48:17 PM »
Remember that i said relaxed in other words there is no weight on the springs.Taking that into consideration if you put 2000 lb on the springs they are going to lay down and stretch  Maybe just maybe there is someone on the sight that has a Dodge D-50 truck that could measure the springs with weight on them that's the best i can do

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 03:53:37 PM »
Ed these are 2-3/4 inches wide two leaves plus a helper. So my take is you would need something like i attached so that you could run 2-3/4 inch leaves where the eye is only 1-3/4 inches.The first pic I would take them apart and swicth them so that they were offset top to bottom not side to side vette59jdwl

I think the easiest way would be to remove the front and rear mounting plates,  then use them as patterns for the existing frame holes, then install wider tabs on new mounting plates. See the attachments..one is adjustable.

Would prefer to install them a bit more inboard to ensure maximum tire width capabilities.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 04:16:14 PM »
Remember that i said relaxed in other words there is no weight on the springs.Taking that into consideration if you put 2000 lb on the springs they are going to lay down and stretch  Maybe just maybe there is someone on the sight that has a Dodge D-50 truck that could measure the springs with weight on them that's the best i can do

10-4...that's why I used a flexible yard stick along side the springs.  BTW: Here's what the brackets would look like finished to accept a wider spring.

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 04:30:47 PM »
I just got in from the barn  I have the 32 up on blocks and tried. the best that i can come up with is 55-1/2 inches eye to eye on original springs . Having said that one has to realize the weight of the car is on the springs while the bottom of the axle is on concrete blocks. I think for all the trouble that it will create. My best idea is to take the springs apart put fiberglass cloth screening with greese between each spring and put in new greese fitings and put the whole thing back together. I will put these on the 89 dodge d-50 rear end and make brackets on that rear end to take the 32 shocks. You see i am not making  a street rod but a restomode. I am using the original frame all original body.changing the suspension and drive train for reliability but keeping six bolt wheel configuration. I already own a tire smoker or two vette59jdwl

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 05:09:32 PM »
Thanks Wayne..your best tip for me was about the "Dodge" springs...looking at them (Dodge) on a couple of vehicles today....the springs lay flat..more so than the Chevy/Ford springs. That will reduce the size of spacers if needed.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »
Ed,
Just in case you were interested I got a price of $505.95 for the Posie's kit with the shocks included.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal