Miscellaneous > Garage Gripes

Well, that didn't go as planned.

(1/2) > >>

Rattiac:
Went up with a friend today for the last snow run of the season. Got to the top and no snow on the road.
There's a trail the parallel's the road.  I decided to test out the snow.  First 100ft in I Slid off the side.
Winched back on the trail and was getting it turned around (3 point winch turn). My friend decided to go around me to help out but... he went way down the trail and got his atv stuck trying to turn around.

I got turned and unstuck then hiked down to him.
This snow was something else.  Slushy and deep.
Spent the next 3 hours turning him around and winching only about 50ft uphill.  Tired , exhausted we decided to leave it and come back in the morning when the snow is frozen.
Hiked back to the jeep to find 2 other jeeps and a Toyota stuck in front of me.
Now we can't leave. 
That group called a "recovery team" on Facebook
They actually arrived an hour later. 😳
While they worked on the Toyota,  I tested my traction and was able to pass the 2 jeeps,  then helped pull them out to a certain point. Toyota was back on the road and we all took turns getting stuck while getting out.  Made it home by 10pm.
Still gotta go back for the atv in the morning.
My tires were at 8psi when I aired up.  That explains the sudden traction I had.

sixball:
Spring thaw snow is tough stuff! It sometimes comes with bottomless mud.

Rattiac:
Got the atv out this morning. He had a nefew bring his utv but instead the nefew rode the atv down the rest of the trail to where it's washed out and found another new trail back to the main road.
On our way down a motorcycle had crashed and broke his leg,  had an ambulance on the way up.
Saw them coming up the road, a 4x4 fire truck,  police car and utv with a stretcher mounted to the rear. 
Seems this mountain has claimed it's share of victims this weekend.
We were off the mountain by 10am.

Rattiac:
One of the guys I pulled out slipped me a $100 bill.

So I bought some more recovery gear.  Grabbed a forged snatch block and a winch line bag for safety.
Snatch block is like a pulley to help change direction of the winch cable and double the power of the winch itself. 

sixball:
Having quality gear is very comforting as long as it doesn't lead to over confidence.  ::) In reality on the trips you like to take any piece of it could be life saving.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version