Miscellaneous > Members Builds - Stocker -Streetrod - Ratrod - LowRider

1939 Frame build

<< < (2/5) > >>

39delux:
This is a friend's shop and it's really not a "frame table" just I-beams that happen to be somewhere near level.  If you don't have I-beams I think an extra 2" x 4" 3/16 wall rail would serve the purpose.  Just set it up level and it will give you something to tack weld uprights to.  Don't trip over it!

Well on with the frame build.  Once the back of the frame was tacked in place I continued to add side rails as per my blueprint.  Each piece that was added required tweeking a bit to follow the up and in of the rails.  Each piece was also ground to a bevel for welding which gave a smoother weld that didn't stick out.  Before I even started the 2" x 4" required cleaning.  That job took the better part of a day.  Getting the anti-rust powder off is a bear but welding and painting will be more successful.

I started to just replace the front end which was a Mustang II out of the junkyard with stamped A arms but the more I thought about it the more I decided to just replace the old tired frame.  The low mounded A/C compressor on the LS engine would hit the crossmember  by just a little so I decided to widen the rails up front a bit to fix this problem.  After much research I discovered the PAUL HORTON'S WELDER SERIES items and went with his crosssmember. 

39delux:
Here is the frame rails done and setting the front crossmember in place as per instructions.  Case of measure twice.  In my case measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk and cut with an axe.  Can't understand why things are not quite right. 

I also decided to go with air bag rear suspension and triangle 4 bars.  The original leaf springs required so much lowering blocks that the U-bolts were almost dragging the pavement.  Bags are much cheaper than coilovers and if there are back seat passengers just push the button to air up.

chopper526:
That's pretty impressive 39delux. Looks good!!.....keep posting!

39delux:
When I got the perimeter frame done my first thought was WOW, look at all that room.  As the suspension and K members were installed I ran out of room FAST.  Read up on gussets.  Lots of great info there and decided on diamond shapes.  If you're ever setting around doin' nothing and think "Say, I'd like to have a headache"  then go study gussets.  On the rear of the frame I needed two crossmembers, one to mount the shocks and a second to mount the stock size poly TANKS gas tank.  Trying to also make it strong enough in case I want to mount a trailer hitch. 

39delux:
Rear suspension in place with triangle 4 bars and air bags hooked to a 1999 Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end.  As luck would have it the rear end was given to me, just had to take it out.  The rear end comes with disc brakes, 3.73 gears and Trac Loc.  Width of the rear was good just the way it was BUT there is a short side on the axles I.E. the center is offset several inches.  I decided that if a universal joint can work up and down it can also work side to side so I left it offset.  Cut all the old brackets off the tubes, located it in the frame and welded on new brackets.  While here I put new discs, calipers and pads on.  Also replaced the clutches in the Trac Loc.  A 3.73 gear is just about ideal to go with an overdrive trans.  Mine is a 4L60E with a .70 overdrive ratio so at 70 MPH I'll turn about 2300 RPM.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version