Author Topic: Sway Bar(s) yes/no?  (Read 5145 times)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Sway Bar(s) yes/no?
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:55:36 AM »
Never thought much about it...but I don't have sway bars on my 34 Coupe, leafs rear, Mustang 2 up front and I'm happy with the way it handles, but I'm not burning up the streets.

On my 33 Coupe project I have a four link rear and Mustang 2 up front. Think a sway bar up front would be worth the effort? I could fabricate one that mounts behind the cross member.

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: Sway Bar(s) yes/no?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »
Ed I don't know about others, but I have found that weight and how hard you are driving makes the decision for me. I aways run a front one, (7/8" on my coupe)  I'm going to see how it handels before running the rear. I've tried to move my weight towards the center of the car and being lite I might not need the rear one.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 09:59:24 AM »
On my 1935 Chevrolet standard 3 w coupe I have a kugel IFS with supplied sway bar.  In the rear I have a jaguar IRS with factory XKE 4 coil over shocks.  Every time I went around a corner,  right turn, the body would lean into the left side fender well.  And same on other side when turning left.  You would think the 4 coil over shocks would control it, NOT !

I bought a 35" wide SCHROEDER sway bar .800 thickness with aluminum arms and mounted it behind the rear end.   You can find these used from nascar teams selling off older equipment very reasonable.  They come from 1/2" thick to 7/8" ......and the splined ends are 15/16 " .  Very slick setup.

If I was running a leaf spring rear it would be fairly simple install with a 24--28" sway bar, 2 pillow blocks with oil lite bearings , a cross member to hold it, a couple of mounting tabs on the rear end housing.

Does it work..............I have 3/4" between my rear tire and inside quarter panel, has not rubbed since.

mike           8)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 10:22:12 AM »
Ed, I have nothing on my car now and I am running leafs in the front and rear. However, to me it is a "no-brainer", and is an upgrade that I hope to make in the near future. So, I say yes, you just have to find the right system for your car, and that may be the toughest part.
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 11:02:01 AM »
Ed, I have nothing on my car now and I am running leafs in the front and rear. However, to me it is a "no-brainer", and is an upgrade that I hope to make in the near future. So, I say yes, you just have to find the right system for your car, and that may be the toughest part.

A guy named gene vrendenburg of the LA roadsters had a feature done on his 33 cabriolet using stock suspension leafs on front. Car was on cover of ROD ACTION MAGAZINE ....YEAR UNKNOWNI noticed he had a sway bar mounted behind or in front ??? of the axle, I forget.  The sway bar was straight and the pillow mounting blocks were bolted directly under the frame and attached to the front axle by spherical rod ends and splined arms.  Here is a link to an auction on ebay, I think magazine is overpriced by $13.00, but here it gives you the year 1973 and month december that it was printed so when you go to a swap meet you can more easily find one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rod-Action-Magazine-December-1973-The-Cheverolet-Story-on-Cover-1012E-/330630954803?pt=Magazines&hash=item4cfb23ff33

mike 8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:25:02 PM by madmike3434 »

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 11:15:28 AM »
Thanks, Mike, it's something for me to look into.

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 11:36:19 AM »
Ed I don't know about others, but I have found that weight and how hard you are driving makes the decision for me. I aways run a front one, (7/8" on my coupe)  I'm going to see how it handels before running the rear. I've tried to move my weight towards the center of the car and being lite I might not need the rear one.

I have plenty of sway bars around here and setting up one up front would be the easiest....not sure if I even have any room for a rear bar on the four-link.

Have my engine positioned behind the front cross member about 4" further than my 34 coupe....stretched the wheelbase and set the engine back..hoping for better weight distribution.  Have the driveline as low as I can go and figure with at least one sway bar should stay glued to the road better?

I have a C3 Vette 7/8" sway bar that looks like an easy mount from behind the front cross member.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 12:02:00 PM »
Ed your real close to my set up, my head sits 12" behind the ball joint. I wish I was to the point of being able to tell you how or if needed. I think the more weight above the front balljoint, the more it's going to lean in the corner?  My first '59 Elky would drag the side pipes turning a fast U Turn. My last one (frt and rear bars) was very stabil. Worked wonders on my '57 also, felt more like a Camero in the corners.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 07:25:35 AM »
I have leaf springs in the rear and a mustang II up front, it's to early to tell if a set of sway bars are needed, I guess it all depends on the way you drive your car? 

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 07:40:11 AM »
I have leaf springs in the rear and a mustang II up front, it's to early to tell if a set of sway bars are needed, I guess it all depends on the way you drive your car?

Your setup is the same as in my 34 3W coupe which handles just fine for my driving. I just like cruising and stay off the  state highways whenever possible.  Those big fenders and flat windshield probably weren't intended to go 65MPH for any length of time back in 1934?

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »
  Here is a link to an auction on ebay, I think magazine is overpriced by $13.00, but here it gives you the year 1973 and month december that it was printed so when you go to a swap meet you can more easily find one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rod-Action-Magazine-December-1973-The-Cheverolet-Story-on-Cover-1012E-/330630954803?pt=Magazines&hash=item4cfb23ff33

mike 8)
[/quote]

Thanks, Mike, I am going to make a reasonable offer on the magazine and see what happens. If not, I'll keep an eye out. Thanks again.           Jim

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »
Ed,
I have the TCI coil over in the front and leaf springs in the rear.  My friend at New England Rod shop recommended I use a sway bar up front when I ordered my front end.  I don't have a sway bar in the rear of the car.  I'm real happy with the way the car handles.  I can go down the interstate at 70 mph and it goes straight as an arrow.  If I take the back roads that are nice and twisty it sticks like glue.  I couldn't be happier with the way my car drives.
Tom
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 10:58:25 PM by TFoch »
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »
Tom

The picture of your rear mounted front sway bar is what got me thinking about using one on mine. Gathering parts right now.

Ed

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »

A guy named gene vrendenburg of the LA roadsters had a feature done on his 33 cabriolet using stock suspension leafs on front. Car was on cover of ROD ACTION MAGAZINE ....YEAR UNKNOWNI noticed he had a sway bar mounted behind or in front ??? of the axle, I forget.  The sway bar was straight and the pillow mounting blocks were bolted directly under the frame and attached to the front axle by spherical rod ends and splined arms.  Here is a link to an auction on ebay, I think magazine is overpriced by $13.00, but here it gives you the year 1973 and month december that it was printed so when you go to a swap meet you can more easily find one.

mike 8)

AMike, a quick search on ebay, and I bought one for $8.00. Now, let's see what 1973 technology gets you.

madmike3434

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 04:20:51 PM »
prices on ebay are all over the place, pick your price point and wait till what you want shows up...................unless you got $$$$$ out the wazoo

mike           8)

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal