General Category > GM Tech Questions and Answers

Long connecting rods

<< < (2/6) > >>

Cool53:
As soon as we make the first set of rods, which are for the 292 straight six running 283 pistons, we will have most of the info we need to make rods for almost anything. With SolidWorks it's not all that hard to make changes. I'll post pictures as soon as Leigh finishes the first set.

sixball:
That is good news. The guys over on the Inliner site will rejoice.  ;D Will they be steel or aluminum? I think the small block V8 rods would work in the 250s if you could get the forgings before they machine the bottom end width.

Cool53:
we are going to concentrate on the inline 6's first. We are building a 292 for Leigh for his '46 Chevy pickup so he'll be making his rods first. they will be steel, and unless other wise requested they will all be H Beam. I will have Leigh write a note for us. He was going to build a new shop for his new machining center but realized how long it would take so he's going to rent space. He's in Concord, NH. But he is the best machinist you will meet. I actually have two friends who are exceptional machinists in that they can both make it manually or automatically. I'll get Leigh to leave some info.

sixball:
Wow, That is really interesting. There are lots of people out there making some great stuff it's just hard to find them sometimes.

cool46:
Hello everyone. In response to the long connecting rods I will be making with Jef for my 292. This is going to be one of the first projects I will be working on in my new shop. I am sure I will have some space soon for the new shop. A lot of my work will be prototypes, and short run production. As far as the rods for my 292 I am planing on going with a 7.250 center to center distance. I have already been talking to J and E pistons about a custom piston for this application or possibly a modified 283 piston, and the prices have been very reasonable. I hope to supply this as a kit for the inline guys keeping the costs down to make this affordable for the hot rodder in his garage. For the first set of rods i am making I plan on using 4140 steel in an H-Beam style with an emphasis on grain structure (direction), while also trying to keep the weight down as much as possible with a short light piston and new modern rings. Jef and I will be documenting this as we go and will keep everyone posted. If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me and I will do my best to answer your questions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version