Author Topic: Saltflat racing 2014  (Read 5608 times)

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
Saltflat racing 2014
« on: August 02, 2014, 02:22:43 AM »
Anybody going to Speed-Week or the World of Speed out at the saltflats this year ?
Landracing.com is the place for live updates, pics and ect.

Ive been to the W.O.S a few times but have yet to see Speedweek . Want to drive my Rattiac out there sometime just to make the trip but it may not be this year .
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Re: Saltflat racing 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
On my bucket list, but not this year. I had an invite 3-4yrs ago, but couldn't get away. Should have made away!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
Three friends and I are heading out there Saturday for a few days. We aren't running anything but a few other friends are. A supercharged 302 GMC in a '54 Chevy pickup and an injected 302 GMC in a belly tank lakester.  Just a pair of inline sixes so they won't be going very fast.  ::) 8)
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:06:01 PM »
Sixball ya lucky SOB. I guess it ain't to far for you. Not very fast, what not much faster than 200?

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »
It's about 400 miles. The pickup has set 3 records at less than 125 mph. They do it the old fashion way and only bump the record enough to set a new record so more people can play with it longer. A lot of new guys are showing up now running on "soft" records and blowing them away. What are you going to do next year and where are new people going to run if it takes a million bucks to get a car through tech because all the records are 300+ mph. I guess there will always be someone with enough money but it sure takes the fun out of it for regular folks.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
I don't know how all that works up there. Hell, i'd be happy running any thing flat out on the salt just to do it. They need an entry-level "run what ya brung" for fun round. They probably don't allow any such thing, but they should. Like you said that's where the "fun" part is.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 01:39:49 AM »
Safety is a big issue. I have seen some bad wrecks where cars came completely apart and have only see two deaths. Once the Blowfish came by us at better than 240 going backwards and shedding body panels. They have to be strict because guys like me don't have any sense. As speeds in a class increase all cars running in the class must meet the top safety requirements no matter how fast they go. I wanted to build a lakester around a 413 CI Dodge flathead six but because it would run in a class with a record near 300 mph tires alone would cost over $3,000. Then there would be two fire supression systems and that's just the start. I doubt I could have gone over 150 mph. I wanted to do it for fun but I can not afford that much fun. ;D

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »
You hit on the safety issue, last weekend was strange to me. I think the "run what ya brung" stop light drags were originally started for the street cruisers.  Most in 1/8th mile would not be up to hiway speeds. No tech inspections what so ever, not even a seat belt check or helmet required(i only seen 2 helmets on the premmises ) With all these new guns showing up with trailered Race cars ( or very high dollar super rods) somebody is going to get hurt. I can't imagine the liability on this thing, reguardless of the waiver you have to sign. I'm sure it's going to get shut down within a couple yrs.
I know this car is OT for here. We had dreams of taking this to Bonneville in the 90's. Although we exceeded NHRA requirements (had Nascar full cage/tires) my buddy checked into Bonn.regs. like you say waymore money than we had.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 10:15:59 AM by sammons »

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 11:58:52 AM »
Man, all this stuff sounds fun! But with a wife, four little boys, a full time job..........and nothing but bills, I'm lucky I can take a trip to the garage ;D
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
Bring back some pics for the rest of us . Here's a link to the site and there's daily updates w/pics and its streaming online sometimes .
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/board,67.0.html
I have PTSD.

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 12:46:33 PM »
Would love to go sometime in the future.  Long haul from New Hampshire though.  Some day :)
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »
People come,some with cars and motorcycles, from all over the world. I can't believe the number from New Zealand and Australia. You can't get much farther away than that. I'm a little worried about rain. They got some there yesterday and a chance of more on the way. It doesn't take much, it's a lake bed.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:08:55 PM »
Sammons ;
Have you tried the 130 club. About the only requirement is steel valvestems (wheels) and I think just seatbelts and helmet.
One year I drove that lil 80 chevette out there just to see if it would make the trip. Had alot of people wondering why I wasnt racing (v6, th350, 8" rear w/273 gear) . I didnt think it would pass tech and im sure I was right (oil leaks) but coming back from the long course I cranked it up to 100mph just to see how it would handle. It did great and handled smooth  ;D  but,  it was soooooooooo illeagl and over the speed limit going back to lands-end. It was the end of the day and I had the salt to myself going back. I just had to .

Sixball ;
The conditions should be great. Most of the rain has somehow missed the flats. We've been getting dumped on here in salt lake .
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 12:07:17 AM »
Didn't know that, but we were looking into the certification, regulations, etc for the 180-200mph. No way we could afford all that, or all the licencing passes. The 130 we could do here for free, but my safe stretch of 2miles was really hard on brakes @ 145-50. Just not enough shut down area to be safe. Them days are over anyway, but I still want to go watch!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 11:30:18 AM »
This was posted on the SCTA site last night and some say it was on their facebook  page before the storm hit last night. At best there will be wet salt in a lot of the access areas and that crap is tough on vehicles and hard to fully remove.

Course Condition Update

Salt Report Wed Aug 6th

The Bonneville Salt Flats has experienced a flash cell that came over within the last hour. The storm left additional water on the salt that had been drying out nicely. Therefore the SCTA has decided to delay all activities one full day. Inspection will be held Friday, with the first racing day now scheduled for Sun Aug 10. Please do not use the access road as you will be turned around. Further updates will be posted tomorrow (Thurs) afternoon. We still believe the event will occur based on the current weather forecast.

Scott Andrews, SCTA President.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal