Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 7648 times)

munch

• Master Deluxe
Re: Need Help
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 01:59:45 PM »
I did not mention that by saying would not start, it won't even turn over.  Just click...

At one time a wire running to the transmission fell onto the exhaust pipe and got so hot it melted some of the insulation the bundle.  I might not have fixed all of it.  Maybe a short???

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »
Make sure that you have a good ground from the battery to the engine and chassis and body. Very important.
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

vette59jdwl

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »
If it clicks it clicks at the selenoid put a test light to ground and then on the outgoing power line from the relay the other side of the relay should be directly attached to the battery. If the light lights you know its sending power through the selenoid.Then take a the test light and touch it on the end of the starter post if it lights.Then take a cable attach one end on the frame or ground and the other
end on the engine block a perfect ground now try the key it should start  vette59jdwl
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:28:26 PM by vette59jdwl »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
I did not mention that by saying would not start, it won't even turn over.  Just click...

At one time a wire running to the transmission fell onto the exhaust pipe and got so hot it melted some of the insulation the bundle.  I might not have fixed all of it.  Maybe a short???

In that situation sounds like a major bad connection...bad battery clamp, cable, dirty connection, broken wire inside insulation. 

Check the voltage of the battery first, make sure it is charging when running,  If you have a "1" wire alternator...you might need  to really rev up the engine to activate the alternator.

BTW: With the headlights on try to start it, if the headlights don't dim...probably bad connection, if they do dim...probably dead battery.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:27:14 PM by EDNY »
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 08:19:05 AM »
Might have made progress.  Last night it would not turn over, just click.  In my frustration I forgot to test as you all have told me, instead I went for the tach wire again with no luck.  I checked grounds, no luck.  I wiggled the wiring bundle, no luck.  Finally I moved the wires connecting the mini starter that has not been on long, it started.  I am going to put it on the lift this weekend and check those connections.

ghost28

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 08:43:48 AM »
munch. I had a small block that did pretty much the same thing. just click and not turn over. My problem was with a bad solonoid on the starter. I believe what made it weak was being so close to the headers it got hotover and over, A few times after driving it, I had to cross the starter terminals with a screwdriver to get it to start.

Just a thought...John

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 09:42:37 AM »
munch. I had a small block that did pretty much the same thing. just click and not turn over. My problem was with a bad solonoid on the starter. I believe what made it weak was being so close to the headers it got hotover and over, A few times after driving it, I had to cross the starter terminals with a screwdriver to get it to start.

Just a thought...John
  John,

That makes sense, as mine is close to the headers.  I ordered the mini started kit from Speedway and it has a metal shield, but still that area gets hot.

Thanks for the input...

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 02:32:42 PM »
Munch, sorry I had you chasing the tach. I misunderstood your problem, I thought it was a firing problem (not a cranking). Here is a quick list to try, in order of probability.

1. Check solenoid terminal nuts for tightness. If tight, check that crimp on wire terminal
    is tight (slightly tug on wire to check crimp).
2. Solenoid
3. Break in soleinoid "crank" wire (between solenoid and ignition switch)
4. Ignition switch out of adjustment (at the lower steering column,  if GM style column)
5. Bad ingnition switch.

Also if heat is killing soleinoid as Ghost reffered too, I think that the Speedway mini starter has an adjustment to clock the solenoid to another (inboard) position, to get the most distance from the header.

Hope you find it. :)

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »
Munch, sorry I had you chasing the tach. I misunderstood your problem, I thought it was a firing problem (not a cranking). Here is a quick list to try, in order of probability.

1. Check solenoid terminal nuts for tightness. If tight, check that crimp on wire terminal
2. Solenoid
4. Ignition switch out of adjustment (at the lower steering column,  if GM style column)
5. Bad ingnition switch.

Also if heat is killing soleinoid as Ghost reffered too, I think that the Speedway mini starter has an adjustment to clock the solenoid to another (inboard) position, to get the most distance from the header.

No worries, I am just so thankful for you guys and your willingness to help.  You're a huge asset...

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 11:11:23 AM »

2. Solenoid
5. Bad ingnition switch.

Number 3 might be the problem.  I dropped the started last night so I could remove the heat shield and check the wiring, and that heavy gauge wire that runs from the solenoid to ignition was loose at the round connector.  Some of the wires were broken and I suppose that the voltage that the wire needs to support, that would cause a problem.
I cut the round end off and I had a piece of wire in the wiring box that is just like it and already has the connector on it.  Now I have to splice the to together, which is good because I need some extra length, but what is good to splice it with?  Would a crimp connector hold up or should it be soldered?  I think it is maybe 12 gauge.   

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
Munch,
How difficult would it be to replace the whole wire? Then you would have one less place for corrosion or problems to set in.
Tom
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
Munch like Tom said, if it's easy enough to pull a new wire into the loom. But if you splice, I would use quality heat shrink insulation tubing and solder the splice. I solder everything I can, you will never have trouble with a good solder joint. ;)

munch

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2015, 01:56:26 PM »
Munch like Tom said, if it's easy enough to pull a new wire into the loom. But if you splice, I would use quality heat shrink insulation tubing and solder the splice. I solder everything I can, you will never have trouble with a good solder joint. ;)
  I would like to do as Tom suggested, but the wire is from a painless wiring kit and has an inline fuse and leads to the main 60 amp fuse, I think that is the size I remember.  I picked up a crimp on a connector that also has built in shrink tubing, but if you think the solder is best I will need to get something that will heat up that big wire.  Lowes has mini butane torches? 

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2015, 02:32:51 PM »
I have a soldering station for anything out of the car. For anything in the car I use a hand held micro butane soldering gun...good for the heat shrink also.

What I have learned:

* Only use 'triple refined" butane in the micro hand torches

* Plumbers water base flux works great. It says not for electrical soldering BUT I use it because it it designed to work under flame and doesn't burn up like regular soldering flux does.  Try it...always get clean and strong connections.

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2015, 02:34:57 PM »
Munch, i'm not saying not to use the butt connector, a lot of people have success with them. It just seems like every used car I buy that has them, I have had problems with. I end up cutting them out and soldering them. If you use the crimp on butt connectors, make sure you have a good crimp tool and pull on the connection to make sure it's tight on both ends.

I have several of the older Wellers soldering guns and they have no problem soldering up to 6 gage wire. I prefer the lead rosin core solder.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal