Miscellaneous > Outdoors Area: Hunting, Fishing, Firearms, Camping, Hobbies, Videos etc

Revolutionary war powder horn

<< < (2/3) > >>

sammons:
Don, that is really cool!  What a neat piece of history to hold in your hand. :)  That would be nice to beable to look up the family.

Sixball my aunt just sent me this pic of my 3x Great Grandad Sammons and a copy of papers and letters to sort thru. I remeber seeing the photo amoung grandpas picture album when I was a kid.
With one hand on the Sabor and the other on the Colt.
W.V. Volunteer 3rd Calvalry, G Company Union Army

32chevy vett:
Six ball and Sammons when I done this post I just know if this gets anyones attention it would get yours.

sixball:
Damn Yankee!  ;D My great granddad was a sergeant in Company A of the 53 Alabama Partisan Rangers. Pretty nasty bunch from what I've read. He had 22 brothers, cousins, and Uncles in the war and that was just one small bunch from Alabama. How could we loose? None of them owned a slave. Too poor. Just fighting the northern invaders. :o My grandmother on Mom's side had two uncles who were brothers and one fought for the north and one for the South.  I guess Arkansas was less committed and some of the boys were confused. :) My wife's great great grandfather was a Yankee but he was a Welsh immigrant and didn't know any better. ::) The first guy I mentioned was the grandson of a Revolutionary War vet. I love the old stuff maybe because I'm part of it. 8)

32chevy vett:
Be nice six ball the war is over! I hope we are all friends now.

sammons:

--- Quote from: sixball on December 29, 2016, 11:20:00 PM ---Damn Yankee!  ;D

--- End quote ---

Haha, Sixball it looks like his cousin (still connecting the dots) was in the Confederate army and with the same name ;D  My aunt sent some more info to start looking into. She was wrong on 3x great, he was just my great great. Got some names straightened out, he was Benjamin Franklin Sammons (1839-1922) born Lewisburg W.Va. Weird thing found the other gentelman Benjamin Franklin Sammons (1839-1927) born Reed Creek, Ga., 375 miles south. CSA 15th Ga Infantry G company.  My Benj also had a son B.F.jr (my Great grandfather Grant's oldest brother. Then she found that his father was Leonard and that his grandfather Sammons was with the Virginia Militia during the revolutionary war.

Interesting to say the least(to me anyway).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version