General Category > Moose's Tech Corner

Wiring My 33 Chevy

<< < (2/8) > >>

TFoch:
Bag "B" contained the wire for the distributor.  I'm running a GM HEI Distributor so there was one wire from the distributor to the terminal block.  Then another wire from the solenoid to the terminal block.  The final part of the bag was to connect the red wire from the top of the fuse box to the battery post on the solenoid.

TFoch:
Bag "C" was for the ignition switch and safety neutral switch.  I ordered a dash mount ignition switch with the kit.  the wires had the terminals already on them but I had to plug them into the black terminal block in the right order according to the instructions.  Then plug them onto the switch.  The there are two wires that connect the neutral safety switch to the terminal board.  That finishes Bag "C".  Once I crimp my battery cables tomorrow and connect them, I can see if the motor turns over.  If it does, I've done the job correctly so far.

TFoch:
Got the terminals crimped onto the battery cables.  The post on the compact battery I'm using are brass and screw onto the lead posts that are flush with the top of the battery.  I put terminals on with 3/8" holes in them, put the post in the lathe and cut a 3/8" boss onto them.  This way the terminal stays centered on the post.
With the first three bags done the car turned over as promised.  I didn't start the engine as I don't want to leave fuel in it over the winter.  Bag "D" will be next which is the gauges.

TFoch:
Bag "C" was to wire the gauges.  I still haven't finished cutting my black walnut for the dash so I'm going to wait until I do to do this bag.  So Bag "D" is to wire the the steering column.  The instructions had a table on them to show you which color wire from the kit goes to the GM steering column wire harness.  The black plug in the kit has all the letter designations that are on the table to make things easy.  The wires come with the connectors on them.  Just push them into the black plug and you're done.

TFoch:
Once you've assembled the connector you can attach it to the steering column to double check it with the table on the instructions.  Just for info I'm using an Ididit column with a GM wire harness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version