General Category > Moose's Tech Corner

Wiring My 33 Chevy

<< < (8/8)

ghost28:
Very cool. Now is about the time I sit in the garage with the door down and the lights out just to enjoy the dash and headlights for awhile...John

madmike3434:
The inside of your rear fender area is very close to a 1934-1935 standard design.

What I noticed and have a question about, the factory brace that runs across the underneath of the fender from the skirt area, to the inside close to body. There is a bunch of spot welds that have been drilled out. Have you shortened the factory brace to where it appears in this picture.

You may not know they exist,  but there actually is a stamped brace that goes in those 2 holes on the frame , just visable in your picture, and it connects the gas tank cover and the fender together. Its called a gas tank cover/fender support bracket.

Just thought you would like to know, as I only found out the parts existed a couple of years ago.

mike lynch.... 8)

TFoch:

--- Quote from: madmike3434 on June 25, 2014, 09:30:57 PM ---The inside of your rear fender area is very close to a 1934-1935 standard design.

What I noticed and have a question about, the factory brace that runs across the underneath of the fender from the skirt area, to the inside close to body. There is a bunch of spot welds that have been drilled out. Have you shortened the factory brace to where it appears in this picture.

You may not know they exist,  but there actually is a stamped brace that goes in those 2 holes on the frame , just visable in your picture, and it connects the gas tank cover and the fender together. Its called a gas tank cover/fender support bracket.

Just thought you would like to know, as I only found out the parts existed a couple of years ago.

mike lynch.... 8)

--- End quote ---
Mike,
Good eye, this brace is on the passenger side and was damaged so I did shorten it.  I still have to attach the fender to the gas tank apron some how as the bottom of the fender vibrates too much.  Are the braces you talk about reproduced or should I be looking for an original?
Tom

madmike3434:
Actually I did reproduce 50 of the 1934-1935 standard series braces. Had them cut out with a flow jet cutter and then used a brake to bend them for left and right.

I know 34 master is much different.  I think I had a picture of the 33 master one but no idea where it went too.  I was trying to find the listing for the part numbers in my 1940 parts book, but I cannot figure out what Chevrolet actually listed them as.

I will take a few pictures of the ones I produced and post the picture on here.

These are the pictures of the 1934-1935 chev standard series rear fender/gas tank cover support bracket that I had made.  Center to center on the 1/4" bolt holes in frame and bracket is 1 1/4"

I have looked everywhere for the 1933-1934 master pair I have, they seem to be out visiting somewhere,  despite repeated searches of their last known location.  The shape on the 33-34 type was much different than this, kinda like a half circle

mike

madmike3434:
Once your gas tank cover is mounted using the 3 bolts on each of the sides, the cover is slotted,  and the rear fenders bolted to it, that will stiffen it up.  The brace attaches at the top bolt where the slot is.

Once you have all that fitted properly, check the bumper bolts chassis mount spacing too the gas tank cover. The cover should fit snuggly against them, if there is any slop , make spacers to take up the gap underneath , otherwise you will crush the area where it the bumper bracket is pulled against the chassis mount.

I would mount the gas tank cover panel with 4 bolts ( use button head allen heads ) that hold the gas tank cover too the frame crossmember, loosely . If you tighten these you will distort the cover panel unless its a perfect no gap fit .

I never liked the look of a spare tire mounted back there , personally.

If you could find a used one, I would look for the right rear inside fender brace.

mike lynch      8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version