Author Topic: Burning up coils  (Read 7192 times)

• Master Deluxe
Burning up coils
« on: May 10, 2014, 06:30:44 PM »
I have replaced my coil for the forth time now in three years. I just made a trip to the nationals in Knoxville and on my return trip my car started to develop a miss and after a few  minutes it cleared up. We traveled another thirty to forty miles and it started missing again after a few minutes it cleared up again. After I got home I thought I would check all connection and found nothing loose. As I was checking voltages across the coil and from the ignition switch I noticed a drip from my coil wire as I investigated it was oil coming from the coil. I have a Mallory Unilite system with the coil and ballast resistor mounted in a horizontal position. I have always thought that the heat from the engine caused the coil to over heat but I have raised the coil well above the manifold to let air circulate around the coil.
Can anybody tell me why a coil would over heat or if they experience this problem. I understand how a coil works the only thing I'm not sure of at this point is what my plugs are gaped at. 

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Burning up coils
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 07:13:57 PM »
I have a Mallory Unilite system and I have been using the 29219 coil which does not require a ballast resister and have not had any problems with it getting hot. As for oil leaking out I have seen that condition on horizontally mounted coils on a couple of occasions but replacement but not any repeated failures. Not all ballast resistors have the same value so make sure you have the correct one for your coil or better yet just get the coil I'm using and do away with the resistor.
http://mallory-ignition.com/ignition-electrical-and-wiring/ignition-coils/electronic-canister-style-coil.html

Moose
Too soon we get old too late we get smart. One out of two ain’t bad 8)

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »
Moose

I used the 29219 coil when I first finished my car. It lasted about 8 months, it would over heat and then the engine would not start very easy, after it cooled down  it would start just fine. You can put a new coil on it and it starts first time every for a while then the coil starts to break down and is hard to start again.
I was broke down on the road and purchased an after market coil with internal ballast resistor just get me home from Advance and it lasted about 6 months, I picked up a cheap coil from the swap meet with a ballast resistor attached to it and that's what I just changed out.  Mallory says use a coil that has 1.4 ohms on the primary with ballast resistor of .75-1.0 ohms or their coil with a internal resistor. They also told me to run their coils on a 45 or a 90 degree angle to keep the oil where it was designed to be.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »
Have you ever considered an epoxy filled coil? If your eating coils on a regular basis and your sure that the input voltage on the primary side is within the range of the coil requirements  then you need to start checking the secondary side of the system. High resistance on the secondary side of the ignition system could be caused by incorrect spark plugs,  plug gaps that are too wide or faulty spark plug wires with high resistance or even a cap or rotor. Any one of these conditions or a combination of them could definitely cause a coil to overheat.

Moose

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:41:28 PM »
Kinda curious...have you monitored the voltage going into the coil after the ballast?   Not sure but I think the coils only need about 7 or 8 volts...anything more & continuous could cook it.  The ballast is bidirectional but maybe yours is not dropping the voltage correctly?

Moose....could he mount a separate voltage meter (digital) specifically to monitor coil input voltage while driving around?

Ed
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
Moose....could he mount a separate voltage meter (digital) specifically to monitor coil input voltage while driving around?

Yeah that's a good idea Ed. That way he could monitor everything that's going on like spikes in the charging or fluctuations that might indicate a intermittent engine/distributor ground which could also cause changes in resistance at the coil and cause it to heat up.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
I've only checked it with a test light so far, tomorrow I plan on hooking up my digital meter and checking the voltages again, and testing my module, checking the resistance on my ballast resistor. What's you're opinion a coil laying horizontal?   

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 10:01:23 PM »
What's you're opinion a coil laying horizontal?

A number of production cars back in the day had oil filled coils mounted horizontally without problem so it really shouldn't be an issue...Of course parts aint what the used to be :-\   

Moose

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 10:08:47 PM »
That's what I think. It really should not matter what position It's mounted at?

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »
Sorry to hear of your coil troubles.

Trying to remember back when I actually used to use a coil, and I think the factory engines - from what I recall - always had the coil mounted vertically.  They were usually mounted on the back of the intake manifold somewhere so I don't think it would be heat from the motor that would be the root cause of your difficulty.

I would call Mallory directly if I were you and get them to email you everything they have on your system so you can check it out correctly.  I always find it best to go directly to the source in a case such as this.

I cannot remember ever having had coil troubles in all the years I have messed with cars.  Just about everything else has gone wrong electrically, but not a coil.
Specialty Vehicle Association of B. C. Director, Kamloops district.

themoose

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 07:01:46 AM »
Ford (bite my tongue) :) has often mounted them horizontally and I have even seen some cars with them mounted upside down. There really should be no reason for them to leak if they are constructed properly.

Moose

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2014, 07:54:36 AM »
Ford (bite my tongue) :) has often mounted them horizontally and I have even seen some cars with them mounted upside down. There really should be no reason for them to leak if they are constructed properly.

Moose

Which brings out a good point, is the coil mounted in a high vibration area, weak clamp...or is the hold down clamp too tight & crushing the coil.
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 11:14:04 AM »

Moose
Yes, I think they had coils mounted horizontally way back when I had a '50 Meteor (Canadian Ford).  And as you say, if the coil is built well, why should it fail?

Just checked on my original '35 Chevy, and it's mounted upside down!  For all I know it's probably still perfectly good.

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
Well I checked the resistor today with my digital meter, a reading of 3.8 ohms the coil 1.8 ohms, went and ordered a 29217 Mallory coil and a  Mallory #700 resistor. I hope I didn't damage my module, I guess I should have checked all my component's before installation. Learned another lesson I guess.

cocobolo

• Stovebolt
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 08:18:10 PM »
Well I checked the resistor today with my digital meter, a reading of 3.8 ohms the coil 1.8 ohms, went and ordered a 29217 Mallory coil and a  Mallory #700 resistor. I hope I didn't damage my module, I guess I should have checked all my component's before installation. Learned another lesson I guess.
Well honestly if you bought them new you shouldn't have to check them, should you?  That's the job of the QC department at Mallory.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal