General Category > General Discussion - Intros

Engine leveling points

(1/3) > >>

EDNY:
Getting ready to weld up my front motor mounts....real happy with the mock up...will be using existing holes in the frame. I'll share pics when I have it done.

I have a "bare" 350 block and a "bare" 700R4 in the car right now. Have oil pans on both...and the final engine going in is a 95 Camaro LT1 engine with fuel injection and 4L60E.

What points do you guys use to level the "engine"?  I layed on a set of steel heads and a GM carb intake for mock up...have the carb base flat (zero degrees)...with that the tranny oil pan has a good 2-3 degree drop....feel I'm good to go?

FYI in the past I used the starter mount surface.

Ed

ghost28:
With the fuel injection it doesn't matter as much as with a carburator, but the way you have it set sounds like it should be dead on either way. Waiting for pictures when you can.

chopper526:
I was taught to level off the carburetor.

TFoch:
I put the protractor on the manifold mounting surface and and shimmed the temporary mounts I made until I got a reading of 3°.  Then I installed the engine and trans mounts to fit.

chopper526:
Tom, I think you just have to make sure the base of the intake manifold is the same plane as the top of the manifold where the carburetor mounts, they are not always the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version