General Category > General Discussion - Intros

Engine mout kit seems too low?

(1/1)

EDNY:
Working on my son's 1937 Chevy 4dr sedan...got the rear axle and leafs in, Mustang II up front...car sits nicely.

Shifting to the drive train - just dropped in my SBC/700R4 mock-up unit (empty block and trans). The motor just seems to be a little too high for me.  The trans hits the floor...that's using the Chassis Engineering kit in the picture. I even removed the supplied rubber cushions just to see if that would help...trans is still tight against the floor.

If I lower the trans about 3/4" of an inch..I'll need to lower the motor up front...and just make a set of front mounts...which isn't a big deal.

Anyone else run into this issue with the 37-39 Chevys?

Thanks

ghost28:
Ed. Have you leveled the frame to ride height, and set the carburator plane to level? I ask because the engine to the rear of the trans will have a fairly steep slope once this is done.

62131:
I used the same set and it hit my floor pan also. I had to go back and make new tunnel to fit, I used the same bolt  pattern just raised the height of the tunnel.

EDNY:

--- Quote from: ghost28 on March 22, 2015, 08:51:06 PM ---Ed. Have you leveled the frame to ride height, and set the carburator plane to level? I ask because the engine to the rear of the trans will have a fairly steep slope once this is done.

--- End quote ---

Thanks I'm aware of the ride height..but the kit just sets the engine high even when I move it forward or back along the frame.

Ed

EDNY:

--- Quote from: 62131 on March 22, 2015, 08:55:04 PM ---I used the same set and it hit my floor pan also. I had to go back and make new tunnel to fit, I used the same bolt  pattern just raised the height of the tunnel.

--- End quote ---

Thanks..I see a bunch of folks using the kit but never hear anyone discuss the clearance problem.  First I plan on modifying the aftermarket trans cross member that came with the car to give the trans (4L60E) some clearance then I'll go back up front and probably just modify a set of after market motor mounts that also came with the car to lower the engine and set up the driveline angle.

The trans oil pan will be below the frame rails...but I expect good ground clearance anyway.  Also expect to modify the hump floor plate cover just a little bit.

BTW: There is no body/frame mounting material ???....metal to metal right now. That alone will raise the body about 1/4" once I install it.

In no hurry.... just knowing that those motor mount kits aren't just drop in...helps a bunch!

Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version