General Category > General Discussion - Intros

Illegal Street Racing Gaining Attention

<< < (2/2)

chopper526:
When we wanted to go legal, we went to Atco Dragway, or as the radio commercial said "ATCO DRAG-A-WAY!!!" 3 dollars for general admission, 5 dollars to get into the pits and I think it was 10 dollars to race. Atco is still open, but I don't know what it costs these days. I used to race my Mustang and came away with a few trophies. I felt  like a bigshot, but I do remember racing against a Celica or something like that :-\
If we wanted to street race one of the popular places was a long stretch of street in an industrial park. That road would get packed on Saturday night. I didn't go there too often because my dad was a cop and if I got caught there he would have killed me. Then in 1977 they built a new police station at the top of the street............end of street racing :'(
For all intents and purposes, street racing is dead in Philadelphia, now, which is probably a good thing.

ghost28:
We were pretty serious back in the day. There was spot out in east Denver, but still close enough to annoy some of the new houses being built, so we did get some complaints. By the time the police shut us down for good, we had a starting light, and we had so many pedestrian cars in attendance, that they would line there cars on both sides of the street with there lights on to shine on the track. I don't blame the police for shutting us down. If one the high horsepower cars got loose he could have taken out a bunch of cars, and the people standing around them. I kinda liked my races quietly done with no large groups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version