General Category > General Discussion - Intros

Illegal Street Racing Gaining Attention

(1/2) > >>

EDNY:
RE: Street Outlaws television series

One of the shows participants was arrested and charged with 2 counts of murder as a result of a street racing incident. I like watching the program but figured it was going to increase the illegal activity.

Link:

http://www.racingjunk.com/news/2015/03/09/illegal-street-racing-gaining-attention/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Burnoutnewsletter

TFoch:
I've watched the show and I'm impressed with the cars they build but I do feel it promotes illegal street racing.  Unfortunately with all the small drag strips that have closed since the 70's kids don't have as many don't have as many places to go race legally.  We used to cruise Elm St in my home town and some guys would go race up the north end of the road later at night.  Most got caught and got tickets.  Might be showing my age but I remember going to New England Dragway on Wednesday nights and making a bunch of passes for $3.  They called it grudge night and you could line up with who you wanted to.  Made a lot of passes down that track.
Tom

madmike3434:
I think that part of the hook on street racing is its an illegal activity.

You could offer the track for free use and they still would race on the street, using all kinds of reasons why they do not want to go to the track.   Its always been that way.

If they get arrested and locked up, their cars crushed into a box size, then and only then will they MAYBE stop.   But don't wager anything on that happening.

By the way the province of Ontario has laws to cover this activity, including crushing your car !!!!!!!!!!    its called STUNT DRIVING, exceeding the speed limit by 50 kilometers or about 30 mph.

Before the law I had to go to traffic court for speeding, 157 km in a 100 km zone highway.  Got it reduced to 149 and paid the fine.   BUT, the court was full of people doing 180---201 km.  I was embarrassed as slow man in court that day.

mike         8)

sammons:
The problem also is the thought to the spectators. Growing up around many forms of racing, dad always talked to us about being aware of your suroundings, never turn you back to a race  car, exit strategy and safety zone! Some of these street racers prep themselves with safety equipment (roll cage, net, helmet, etc) and don't give the bystanders a thought. >:(

Back in high school we had two drag strips, but they were 90 miles away ( Great Bend, Liberal). Seldom did any of the kids ever make the trip. Drag racing in our city limits was a big no-no. We had several spots (4)out side of town on the back roads that got used on saturday nights, usually Involved no real horse power. I use to try to heard everyone to stay behind the cars. I've seen some nasty stuff happen on the start line. High horse power can sling parts everywhere!

I seldom took part in these, but when I did I insisted on a private race one on one with No witnesses!  Didn't want to get narked on, and only if I thought the other driver was competent.
Edit ad: I was at the Great Bend with my '57 and watched an old Willys Jeep make a pass(BBC powered) and he was all over the track. I told my buddy Tom that there would be no way I would line up with that guy. 20mins later, guess what they motion me to the box with him. Nope, an official came over and said to move up. I told him no way was i going to line up to that squirl! Put him off long enough the Jeep made a bi-run (just in the time trials)and almost hit the wall over in the opposing lane.

vette59jdwl:
  HIGH Guys  I am home and just opened up.Glad to see all this talk about drag racing or grudge racing.We have an abandoned DND airport 40 miles from my home and that is where all us lads go to spin the tires and grudge race on the other hand if we wish to be official we have Shanonville drag strip just off of old number 2 hwy and it is a sanctioned track. Having said all that i wish to ask my american cousins has anyone seen or anyone know this emblem pics to follow for this is what is still on my drag corvette 1959 silver blue   vette59jdwl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version