Author Topic: Atmospheric River, Bomb Cyclone  (Read 7588 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Atmospheric River, Bomb Cyclone
« on: January 16, 2023, 08:33:07 PM »
Pinapple Express, or what ever the catch phrase is at the moment. Anything to call for doom and gloom on climate change, (I still say snow storm, rain storm).

Was gonna ask Sixball and Rattiac if they were getting rain/snow out of these storms. I think its keeping us here warm, not much moisture getting to w Kansas. 69° yesterday but windy, today was 61, sunny and calm👍

Brother lives about 30 miles inland from San Louis Obispo, he finally got rain and adding up fast. Last monday storm he got a lot. Couldn't get to town on tuesday from ranch, all four ways out were a now go. River over one, the other 3 were washed out at creeks. Wednesday afternoon he took his Toyota FJ40 out and managed to get to town when the water dropped, (but road was still "closed")
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:34:46 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Atmospheric River, Bomb Cyclone
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 02:21:30 PM »
We are getting hammered with alternating rain & snow. The ground has absorbed all it can and is in a near liquid state. It is soggy/muddy under the snow. We got another 7-8" of snow yesterday and the sun is shining today so much if it will melt on the south facing mountains. It will all run toward the Carson River. Local flooding similar to your pictures. I'm trying to keep up the best I can to get the water to cross the road instead of down the road. There are two miles of it and it is all up to me. Between clearing snow when needed and digging water diversions it is a job. We are in no danger unless the mountain behind us decides to move to the valley. Last night the wind blew and there are some 2' + drifts. I can't lift my old legs that high.
 Mixed blessings: More snow means less running water but we have to depend on the generator for power. Sunshine makes the solar system work after I clear the snow from the panels but it melts the snow and the flooding starts. Biggest worry is getting the Propane truck in here maybe next month. Otherwise I'll be hailing 25 gallon tanks that I can no longer lift, thank God for Kubota! Then there's the water in the basement.  ;D

All this said so far this is far from the toughest winter we've had. This is what the winters were like when we moved here. But to answer you question what ever the woke term of the day is we are getting lots of moisture and all that goes with it. The snow pack above Tahoe in more that 200% for this time of year but that doesn't mean it will end the season with that.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 07:34:13 PM »
Same here.  We have had a few storms that have been better than the last 5 years. It snowed for 3 days here which is unusual but could be better. 
Still not like the 1980's

As a matter of fact. Like the crazy guy I am. Last Friday the 13th I went camping south of the pony express road and knew a storm was coming but didn't think it would be much.
It was a mini blizzard all night.  When I woke up I didn't think it was more than a few inches but when I started walking around I noticed all the snowdrifts.
Once I got up to the main dirt road I knew I was in trouble 😳. Got home safely and the city was dry.
Editing the video right now  .
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 07:50:50 PM by Rattiac »
I have PTSD.
Pretty Tired of Stupid Democrats.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 04:37:49 PM »
Had a post already, arm got a cramp...thumb twitched...everthing disapeared😡

Sixball i guess more good than bad, get a start on fire season. "Thank God for Kabota", lol. Thats what my brother said. His roads at the ranch are all screwed up, got 1' trenches across many. He said he filled up with propane before xmas, so he's good till next Nov anyway. His solar power wall batt bank got a glitch, so he is on PG&E usage till Tesla gets it fixed.

Rattiac, hats off to you and your adventures. My days of cold weather camping are long gone🥶 They, the weathermen, have been promising us rain/snow thru all this....nothing. snow up north and rain east. We were at 65% chance overnight rain/snow, nope. 30% today, this morning took dog out at 7am, 41 and clear🥴 Looking forward to video.

I got my natural gas bill yesterday for Dec, we did have that nasty wind and sub 0 temps. But...$90 bucks more than Novembers🤯 It was more than i'be ever paid in winter before @$150. Was down to the shop crying to Tom about a $241 gas bill, he said he hadn't seen his yet. Text me lastnight when he got home....his was $600. I guess i've got no room to complain, I felt like an idiot then. Sure glad i went 2x6 construction with lots of insulation!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 04:51:00 PM by sammons »

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 01:31:13 PM »
I have PTSD.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 02:06:46 PM »
Bbbrrrr🥶    I thought you were going to get stuck again when that Jeep in front of you slowed down and got a bit out of shape there😁 
Thanks for posting! My firestick ain't loading Youtube on the tv, watch it on my phone half the time anyway.

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 10:45:03 PM »
 I thought I was gonna run into him. Had no brakes for a second and luckily I was able to carry momentum through it as he cleared the drift.
I have PTSD.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 01:22:07 PM »
I wish I had video of the two guys on quads I ran out of here last week. Playin in the snow tearing the Hell out of my road 1 1/2 miles past the NO TRESPASSING signs they of course didn't see.  ::)  Then they called me names & threatened me. Good for them they didn't make a move to carry out their threats. Good for me too in the long run.

It took the sheriff over 1/2 hour to call me back to say they couldn't find us. It was over by then.  >:(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:24:45 PM by sixball »
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 07:06:44 PM »
Reason one for carrying. When seconds count....Leo maybe a long time coming.

We are suppose to get another deep freeze saturday night thru tuesday🥴  Not looking forward to that.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:08:30 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2023, 01:21:05 AM »
It was very tense and they definitely crossed the line more than once. The don't know how close they came. I was able to keep some distance and give them time calm down. It ended well.

We may get a little more snow Saturday but not much. Supposed to get up to 40 tomorrow.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 04:32:25 PM »
Got up to 48 by 2:30, fronts a coming in. Fell to 43 by 3pm and wind changed from south to nw. I'm trying to get everthing done as far as trips outside. Took a break for lunch sat down on couch and heard the dog digging around in the kitchen.

My buddy Tom brought me a new 5gal pail i put under the coffe maker for collecting used coffee/tea grounds for his lady's worm bed. I haven't dumped it in a while, had just shy of 3gals worth. Well dog was dragging it out of the bucket. Hollered at him, he had grounds all over the place. He never gets in the trash, let alone the grounds bucket. Picked up the mess, cussing dog. Went to dump in plastic bags, got about 10" down...... it was smoking like crazy🤯 I didn't know it would smolder up like green hay, freaky. I looked up coffee grounds  it said highly flammable when dry. Sure didn't know that either.

So, Rowdy is either smarter than i thought, (alerting me?) Or he's just a dick😁

Rattiac

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 12:22:01 AM »
Wonder if he saw it smoking too and attacked.

My dog just makes random messes.  Oh and learned how to turn the sink on. 😟
I have PTSD.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 10:32:43 AM »
Just about anything that can burn can have spontaneous combustion with the right conditions. The right amount of moisture being one. I wouldn't have thought of coffee grounds. I read a post on another site about linseed oil and guys who won't allow in their shops. Think of the old grain elevator explosions.

Rowdy is a keeper! He could probably teach Smoky a lesson or two.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 02:01:35 PM »
Was 6° this morn at 7am, and 20mph wind🥶 Suppose to get to 15 this afternoon. Two more days of this cold crap.

I had a cat decades ago that use to turn the sink on to get colder water. Never could get him to shut it back off.

Yep, top of the pail was pretty dry, lower i got the wetter it was. Guess i best dump it every week. Grandpa taught me young about linseed oil. Once a year he would scrub out the horse trailer real good and reapply linseed oil to the wood floor. Then he would have me gather up the rags and brushes and lay them out in the drive till they dried out a couple days before putting in the outside trash barrel. High school wood shop class we did the same. Dad was a stickler about speading out the rags as soon as we used them after treating new p.u. bed boards at the shop. Out back till they dried and then to dumpster in the alley.

Guess i have a new Fire Marshall😁
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 02:05:29 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023, 07:51:17 PM »
I saw a news report that said it was a series of these atmospheric river storms that trapped the Donner Party not far from here in 1846.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal