General Category > HAVE A FIX ? (For anything)

How to build a delivery door on the back of your sedan.

(1/1)

ghost28:
Here is a rundown of a sedan to sedan delivery conversion I did. You first determine the correct location and size of the door, be carefull here. Then take 3/4 inch square tubing and bend it using your vise and body weight to achieve the shape of the inside sheetmetal all the way around the door reveal portion. Make sure you outline the rear window at this time also. Step two for the body side you will duplicate this process, but with space of no less than 1/4 inch between the tubing. All this should be tack welded in by now. Find the hinge location and determine what hinges wil be used. Mounting the hinges can be a little messy, but when building a hot rod you know this. I usually cut slots through the outer sheetmetal and through the inside tubing large enough to slide the hinges through. I usually don't make any adjustment points on the hinges. Builder discretion. I now tack them in place to the outer body and the interior tubing area, all this can be trimmed and cleaned up after you open it all up. Now with a high speed 4 inch thin blade I mark and carefull cut between the tubing all the way around until the door opens up. There might be a little twisting adjistment  to the door afterwards, but it usually works out fine. AS for sealing up the door I tack weld inside a 1/8 th by 3/4 inch flat plate all the way aroung on the inside covering the seam between the tubings to achieve a tight closure and seal area.  HAVE A LOOK  :o

FATnLOW:
Ghost.....  basically that's how I did  mine..don't have in progress photos of the build but here some that  I  had. 1928 Model A converted into Sedan Delivery

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version