General Category > General Discussion - Intros

Radiator Choices

(1/2) > >>

62131:
Would anybody like to give their opinion on  aluminum radiators vs copper ones?  And what you used in your cars.

themoose:
If money is no object it's hard to beat copper. It is usually is more durable, easier to repair, and is the better for heat transfer. That being said I have often used aluminum and have never had any issues and in fact my present ride has aluminum and has never had any issues. As long as you provide proper air flow and it's sized correctly for your application they get the job done. One thing to note with aluminum is to make sure that it is  Heli-arc welded, and that the cores that are oven-brazed (no epoxy)

EDNY:
My buddy bought one of these Rand aluminum radiators and is happy with it. I bought the taller one and ready to give it a try shortly.  32 Ford design but the upper hose is on the drivers side for Chevy engines...fit real nice inside the 33 Chevy radiator shell.

eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-Ford-Aluminum-Radiator-Chopped-Chevy-Engine-w-Cooler-1932-3-Row-Core-/170925929318?hash=item27cbfab366&item=170925929318&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

It has provisions for the trans cooler lines..but I'm going to run a separate trans cooler.  The Rand has some good feedback via the HAMB. Have heard some of the "off road guys" having problems with them..they normally beat the heck out of everything anyway.

Mounted a Ford Taurus 2 speed fan on it..the shroud fit the radiator like it was made for it.

TFoch:
I have a Walker Z-Line #Z-510-1.  I haven't used it yet but it did fit in the grill shell OK.  I'll let you know in a couple of months how it works.

ghost28:

--- Quote from: themoose on March 01, 2013, 08:19:17 PM ---If money is no object it's hard to beat copper. It is usually is more durable, easier to repair, and is the better for heat transfer. That being said I have often used aluminum and have never had any issues and in fact my present ride has aluminum and has never had any issues. As long as you provide proper air flow and it's sized correctly for your application they get the job done. One thing to note with aluminum is to make sure that it is  Heli-arc welded, and that the cores that are oven-brazed (no epoxy)

--- End quote ---
I agree. Walker is the best design, but the cheap welded aluminum design have worked great also...John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version