General Category > General Discussion - Intros

Your thoughts on CHEAP tools

(1/3) > >>

themoose:
 I was having a conversation the other day with a couple of guys about tool quality. Everyone agreed that for the most part the quality of tools offered by various name brand manufactures has gone downhill .That being said I’ve found that some cheap tools can get the job done just as well as their name brand counterparts  for a fraction of the cost. When I started my last project I needed a new 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. I looked at a couple on name brand units and the price was over a hundred dollars. At the time we had just gotten a new Harbor Freight store in the area so I said what the heck I might as well take a look. They had a grinder on sale for the ridicules price of $9.95. I figured that for that price if it only lasted a week I’m still ahead of the game. Well I’ve used for hundreds of hours and it’s still going strong so apparently it’s not that badly made. I would rather buy tools made in the USA but if you do your homework you’ll find that most all tool suppliers are manufacturing overseas and the quality is nothing to brag about. What’s your experience been with cheap tools?
Moose

TFoch:
When I can I try to buy "Made in the USA".  I have shopped at Harbor Freight but haven't bought much.  My Woodward Fab bead roller was made overseas.  My Shrinker Stretcher from Eastwood was probably made somewhere else also.  It is hard to find some tools made here.
This does mean a lot too me because I'm a tool designer for Burndy LLC.  We make electrical connectors and the tools to install them.  Our tools are designed here in Manchester NH and proudly assembled in Littleton NH.
I hope that more companies will be bringing manufacturing back here where it belongs.

EDNY:
I have seen two distinct qualities of wrenches. sockets etc (non power tools)....either real good or real bad. Noticed that if the tools - like sockets have sharp engraving and quality finish (chrome)...their quality is the normally good.  If the engraving is just punched and not sharp..the tools generally don't last.

From experience I won't buy any more HF angle grinders...they vibrate like heck and mine broke when I needed it!  I keep my eyes open for DeWalt, Milwaukee, Sears etc on sale. Like to have at least two available, ie grinder and a sander. Need one more for my wire brush.

Ed

32chevy vett:
Moose  I bought 3 of those makita look a likes. The first one lasted for a long time. The other 2 were junk in on time. I later took them apart to see why they did not last. The first one had sum grease on the drive gears. The other two had just a very small trace of grease.

chopper526:
All of my air tools have come from Harbor Freight. For the price, they are well worth trying them out, even if they might not last as long. I have about half dozen and they have been working great for the last three years. That being said, I bought a cheapo 4 1/2" angle grinder from H.F., like Moose, and it lasted two weeks. So, go figure. When I worked in the trade it was only name brand; Craftsman or MAC and Snap-On if I had the cash. Now, for my hobby J.A.Pan tools are usually worth a shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version