Miscellaneous > Members Builds - Stocker -Streetrod - Ratrod - LowRider

1935 Chevy 2 door Standard Sedan Build

(1/4) > >>

cocobolo:
OK, it's about time I got started on the build here...most of the snow and ice has gone...only a short Honey-do list to go...and I'm getting antsy to work on the car.

First I'll give you a little info on what I found out about the car, and I think 3WBill (my adopted little brother) is going to fill you in with the rest of the story.

Thanks to several good people over at Chevy Talk, I can tell you that the car was built at the Janesville plant on January 16, 1935.  It was the 2462nd car off the line and bears the 2,475th Fisher body.  There were 22,799 2 door Standard Sedans built that year.

The car was shipped up to Canada, where it was sold at a Regina dealership and I'll let Bill fill you in from there.

Several pics of the car and parts thereof already appear here in various threads, so please forgive me if I duplicate the odd one.  Once I get into tearing it apart, all future pics will be first edition.

The first pic shows the car half way home from Onoway, Alberta to Kamloops, B. C. and was taken at Jasper national Park.

cocobolo:
The car itself is basically complete, less the bumpers and every scrap of upholstery which disappeared as a result of hungry mice during the car's 50 year tenure in a barn.

It has 18,246 original miles and when we pulled the dipstick out to see if there was even any oil in the motor, it was full and spotlessly clean!  We were suitably impressed.

These are the first pics of the car after it arrived in Kamloops, September 27, 2013.

cocobolo:
Before I go any further I should let you know that the plan is to do a full frame-off job here.  So if anyone wants any measurements as things come apart, please let me know.  I'm definitely going to be taking pics of everything as it comes apart.  Mainly because at my age, my memory is damn near as short as my bank account!

A little history on me...I've been into hot rodding since I was about 18...now I ran out of fingers and toes to count how many years that is, but I know it's a long time.  All except for about the past 20 years or so because I was living on a remote island where there were NO roads.  If you think you have trouble quitting smoking, try going without a car to work on for that length of time!  Talk about nasty withdrawal pains!  Anyway, that's water under the bridge now, and just as soon as my house down there is sold, the temporary money problem will disappear.  At least that's the plan.

So over the past 5 months I have been collecting the necessary tools to do the job and there's not much else I need to waste any more money on.  I picked up a new 60 gallon compressor, more air tools than I probably need, a metal cutting bandsaw, planishing hammer, 20 gallon pressure sand blaster, new tanks for my Dillon Mk. 3 oxy-acetylene outfit, new sets of wrenches, sockets, drill press, new tap and die set, hole saws, 14" metal cutting chopsaw, wiring going in for the new 250 amp Tig welder/plasma cutter/stick welder, small MIG welder, HVLP paint guns, assortment of electric drills, engine hoist, 1 1/2 ton chain come along, creepers, body hammers and dollies and with my short memory I can't remember what else.  This tool buying disease has to stop soon, I don't have any more room to put anything!

RH:
Can't wait to see what you're going to create!  :)

cocobolo:

--- Quote from: RH on March 18, 2014, 12:16:31 AM ---Can't wait to see what you're going to create!  :)

--- End quote ---
Well, RH, I guess that makes two of us.  I know that I'm having a hard time waiting for the days to get nice and warm.  The cold isn't much good for these old bones.

I got a message from Munch asking for some dimensions and pics of the back seat area, so I sent those off to him earlier today.  But I figured it might be possible that someone else could use the same information down the road somewhere, so I will pass along what information I was able to glean.

This set of pics shows a shot of the rear seat back wood support with dimensions written on the wood itself.  I think if you need a bigger version in order to read the numbers that the following pics could be used to do just that.  Should be self explanatory I think.  On the curved corner piece, the space between the ruler and the curve in the middle is about 7/8".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version