Author Topic: Cerakote ceramic firearms finish?  (Read 2054 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Cerakote ceramic firearms finish?
« on: October 20, 2023, 04:34:20 PM »
Anyone had their firearms painted/coated with this? Happy with it?

Our City council had commisioned 40 Winchester 94 XLT 30-30 riffles and Colt .45 six guns for our Centenial in 1987. The gloss black is coming off my reciever and was thinking about having it Cerakote'd. Don't have the money to do so right now but I would like to know how good the stuff was.

I feel i probably couldn't strip it down due to my hands and small parts. My nephew works for the guy that burnt his hands last week, and they Cerakote at his shop. I know my nephew does do refinishing but not sure if he is good with teardown/reassembly.  I have riffle # 9 out of the 40.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 04:38:11 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
Re: Cerakote ceramic firearms finish?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 06:17:58 PM »
Man! That sucks! The collector value of these things is for pristine, un fired, original, in the box. The further you go away from that the more it hurts. Re finished is a big NO NO. But of the value to you is a nice gun that has a special connection to you & your community then do what makes you happy. That damage looks like what happened to a couple of the guns I stashed in my attic for a while. These two came in contact with the fiberglass insulation that water had condensed in. One was a Ruler Old Army cap & ball # 126 first year. It pissed me off but I still shoot the hell out of it with no collector worries.  ;D It is one of the most accurate & hard hitting hand guns I own. Sorry din't know anything about the finish.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 06:59:26 PM »
Ya, thats the pisser. Never fired, still have box and papers and has always been in the gun cabnet. Dad reserved it early before they were built. If i recall the finish started flaking at about 7-8 years old. I recall another guy here had same problem. I'm sure its only got any special value other than locals. It will just get passed on to my brother, he wouldn't sell it either. They had a local town event auction several years ago and a pristine one sold for either$1500 or 1600.  Just a local guy that didn't get his name on the list soon enough in '87.

Guess i'll run it across with brother first. Its pristine other thsn the reciever, looks like crap. I've seen some of the firearms they have done, they do look like a smooth factory finish. Just like to know how well they hold up. Can't be any worse than what it was originally.😕

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 10:09:10 PM »
The only commemorative edition Winchester I ever bought was the Golden Centennial '66. I bought into the hype. In truth the box was cooler than the rifle. It had scenes from the new version of Stage Coach movie what wasn't as good as the original either.. The rifle was one of the Japanese '94s with stamped parts and rattled like a used up '73. The fit was bad the wood finish looked like a painted on wood grain, a lot like the phony wood paneling that was popular at the time. The "Golden" part of the centennial edition was a thinly plated receiver that began to wear off as my friends & I passed it around to inspect. I looked at it for a few weeks then took to hunting and shot a nice forked horn with it. I cleaned it up put it back in the box with all the papers & advertisements I had and  stuck iy in the closet. Not near the rifle my first year of production 94 is.  A few years later I traded it for a for a #3 Ruger carbine in 45-70. Those are one of the strongest actions chambered for that round. It didn't take long to decide that a 6 1/2 pound rifle with a metal butt plate pushing a 350 grain slug at 2000 fps was not much fun, so i traded it to a gunsmith friend who wanted to punish his step son. I got a Ruger #1 in 219 Donaldson Wasp for it. I love it. Making brass in fun. Reloading it is fun. And shooting it is fun. Both Rugers are worth more now than the Winchester. Really not bad for a $125 original investment. Well maybe $125 1966 dollars was a lot then. 
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 07:09:42 AM »
Looks like the receiver only needs to be refinshed?  For all of the work tearing it down I would consider just having it hot blued. Then you would have a restored rifle?

I have various Border Patrol commemoratives including one of these Winchesters. The member version serial numbers begin with USBPxxx, the civilian version with BPxxx

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1014667373
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 04:14:31 PM by EDNY »
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 10:01:41 AM »
Dad had two commemoratives, this "Bucklin" and the "Cowboy". He bought the Cowboy commemoritive in '67, i still have it and the box. He may have lost the coin that came with it in the many moves, i don't recall seeing it in the box. I bought a Milittary comm? from a guy moving, called dad and he said hell of a deal. Had buyers remorse as couldn't/shouldn't shoot it. Sold it to a fella dad had told 2 weeks later for a $400 profit😁 I've never bought a gun new  all have been 2nd hand or just used.

Ed, just the reciever. I swear the reciever is some kind of paint? When companies, towns etc order these, do the get modified at Winchester or another company buys from Winchester and does the modification? Not like the Winchester company commemorative issues.

Down on the bottom under the serial # where the "9 of 40" is, the finish popped off first. Reciever finish left does not look like the rest of the finish on the hard parts and of course the barrel.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 12:41:14 PM »
The Border Patrol carbine is far better quality than the '66 I had. Nice wood & checkering, much better fit and the bluing is beautiful. Yes, some outside companies that sell commemorative models have the work done outside the Winchester shop and so quality can vary greatly. The greatest value of your rifle would be to family or someone else in town unless there is a collector looking for every 94 commemorative ever made and yours being 1 if 40.  I used to want a saddle ring carbine in each of the early 5 chambering. Back then I could have almost afforded it. Should have done it but I still don't remember ever seeing a 38 55.

I don't want guns I can't shoot, cars I can't drive or a woman that can't cook.  ::)

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 04:19:07 PM »

Ed, just the reciever. I swear the reciever is some kind of paint? When companies, towns etc order these, do the get modified at Winchester or another company buys from Winchester and does the modification? Not like the Winchester company commemorative issues.

Down on the bottom under the serial # where the "9 of 40" is, the finish popped off first. Reciever finish left does not look like the rest of the finish on the hard parts and of course the barrel.

I'm sure they farm them out...but it might be worth a call to Winchester...never know they may have had some type of recall?

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 04:26:20 PM »
Posted this before but Henry is in the planning stage for another Border Patrol commemorative.  Comes in (4) versions, two 22lr from when we were under DOJ and the other under the current DHS/CBP, also two 38/357 under both DOJ and DHS/CBP.

I started out under DOJ and will buy that version in 22LR and shoot the heck out of it!

https://www.henryusa.com/border-patrol/?#gf_63
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 04:30:03 PM by EDNY »

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 06:58:32 PM »
I don't want guns I can't shoot, cars I can't drive or a woman that can't cook.  ::)

Lol, thats my thoughts also. Spend good money to just look at.... no😁

Ed next time i get a ladder downstairs i'll get the paper work out of the box and see if it says who modified it. Last time i got into one of those recall deals, you pay frieght bothways, they inspect and decide if it qualifies or not. Usually the Not with some excuse. Like i say, the finish on the reciever really doesn't match the rest of the rifle. Reminds me of my little single shot lever Ithica, the reciever paint flaked off in several years of use. It has a pweter or similar pot looking metal under, i just polished it and left it that way.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 07:08:14 PM by sammons »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal