Author Topic: Mayday Mayday!  (Read 1928 times)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
Mayday Mayday!
« on: April 16, 2023, 08:45:56 PM »
My buddy Tom had some excitment today. He was out putting up a privacy fence about 12:30, and heard a sputter then seen a Ceesna coming from the south and made a sharp turn east at 75' off the deck. Went behind his workshop and was about 50' by then trying to line up the field just north of his fence. Flaps down and ready, just as he touched up he went to clear bobwire fence on the east end. Cleared that, slight dust then over the hill out of sight.

Tom jumped in p.u. and headed down 3/8 mile to where it should be.....nothing.  He said he had to be there or he would have seen him lift up again. He drove on into the city dump to the east end, still no sign. No smoke, dust, nothing. Got out and went up to the fenceline burm. There he was, just walking around trying to get a good cell signal. Tom walked down there to check on him, all good. Not a scratch on him or the plane. Prop never touched ground, no grass in wheels, just tracks coming down the hill. It ended up in a pasture valley just to the north of the dump. Tom said guy was cool as a cucumber. Once all emergency crews and Troopers got there Tom said his hands trembled a bit.

He headed out of Albaqu. N.M. to Manhatten Ks for new Insturment ratings. Got just to south of town engine went down. He had just passed our airstrip on the west side of town, was going to circle around but seen the elevators to the north and he knew no way to clear and get back to strip.
He had less than 3/8 mile to stop, down hill and with tail wind. One very lucky man! Not sure how long it will have to sit there before faa gets report done, but the cattle are gonna cause some flap/alieron damage by then. Curious creatures they are, and rubbing all over it.

Just in front of plane is the city dump burm and fence on top.

Sorry, i can't get it to rotat😡
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 08:50:42 PM by sammons »

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: Mayday Mayday!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 08:50:25 PM »
Great reporting there sammons..glad to hear it had a positive ending!
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

TFoch

• Bowtie Moderator
  • Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2023, 08:55:23 PM »
Glad to hear he's OK!
Spending time with my grandkids gets in the way of finishing my car but I don't regret it!

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 12:01:15 AM »
Some excitement. Glad everyone was OK. There was a Care Flight that crashed just a couple of miles from here a month or so back. No one survived it. My wife heard it having trouble when it went over here.

Then there's this Twin Beach my friend crashed many years ago near his girlfriend's brothel (Angel's Ladies) near Beaty, NV. It's still there. He was flying customers from Vegas and drugs  from Mexico as well as running a skydiving outfit. He had several skydivers he was taking to jump into Death Valley and lost both engines. They were all able to jump out leaving Jeb alone. He said that was the loneliest sound he ever heard. He walked up to the brothel got in his car and headed back to LA. I don't think the plane was even registered at the time & surely not to him. You can see it on Google Earth.

The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 06:21:10 PM »
It amazes me that if an aircraft goes down in the middle of nowhere, top of a mountain or in a jungle, how fast it is picked apart. Kinda like a deer carcus.

Back in the late 80s there was a large muti engine plane spotted low over Dodge City heading NE late at night. If i recall it was cloudy and they must have got under it to see where they were. The authorities were called, and more reports coming in. They ended up at the old WW2 Aux strip 20 miles away. It was an old C-47 full of bailed pot. Pilot and crew must have scattered, but they did catch the fuel tanker heading in to refuel it

Well they put a towbar on the plane from sunday. Took down some barbwire fencing and towed it across town to the airstrip for repairs this morn.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:22:50 PM by sammons »

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 11:37:03 PM »
It is surprising how many crashed planes can be found on Google Earth. There was so much outlaw stuff going on in Nevada it is no wonder some are still out there. It is a little tough now not to be seen.  ;D
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2023, 08:25:04 PM »
The mechanics worked on it friday, took it up a couple times. It left saturday at noon, flew to Dodge, (probably got fuel and took care of repair cost?). He was there for little over an hour and headed back SW. According to a Flight tracker, he made it past Liberal Ks to around Tyrone Ok, (11miles), then did a 180 then a sharp turn straight north for maybe a mile.  I'm not sure if he had to set it back down 🥴. No airstrips in that area, just flat country and north/ south dirt roads. No activity showing since 2:05 yesterday.  I'd say his week hasn't gone well.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal