Author Topic: First of the season  (Read 9307 times)

sixball

• Master Deluxe
First of the season
« on: May 30, 2021, 05:42:32 PM »
I was headed out to where the frame is stashed to check if a new tool will help with the rivet holes and was greeted by a 32" rattler. Funny thing is that Wednesday I took the dog we got last summer to a rattle snake avoidance class. She did well but evidently I should have payed closer attention.  :) It is good they make noise because I was headed to the big weed it was hiding under to pull it. That would not have worked out with a quiet poisonous snake.  :o This guy was more aggressive than most of the ones we have here.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

EDNY

• Bowtie Admin
  • Master Deluxe
Re: First of the season
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 08:23:28 AM »
They are protected here in NY! Another crazy thing is that if you find any gold in NY..it belongs to the state!
33 Chevy 5 Window, 34 Chevy 3 Window, 37 Chevy 4dr sedan

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 09:01:48 AM »
Glad he gave you a rattle, some folks around here said they have been struck at with out a warning last couple years. Been lucky here yet, no sighting since last fall across the alley. They seem to move into town towards the end of july when it gets hot and dry.

Several weeks ago i got startled by the biggest Blue Racer i have ever seen. He was just shy of 6', i was mowing and came face to face as he was chilling on a low branch of the tree. Couple weeks ago another showed up, it was right at 4' and very fast 😁  I told the neighbors so they wouldn't freakout when they came across them.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 11:49:19 AM »
At my grandsons" baseball games last week i spotted a good sized gopher snake. I was amused at how many people it crawled by who never saw it.

Our Great Basin rattle snakes are usually pretty timid. This one was ticked of for some reason. It may have been sleeping and I was pretty close what it woke up.

Nevada's gold discovery site is about 5 miles away and they were digging here by 1850. We can pretty much keep the gold we find but the gold deposits here are not usually the coarse dust and nuggets like California. Much of it is the microscopic stuff mined mostly by big Canadian companies. Neither the State or the Country gets any of it. They have a good lobby.
The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop.  Edwin Conklin

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 03:17:34 PM »
Snake's   whooo  they cause me to hurt myself trying to get away, Seen the skin off a a black snake while mowing next to the trees on the back off my lot, I know he's in there somewhere I'm sure hes eating the field mice. 

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 09:58:01 PM »
#2 About 10 yards from yesterday's. About the same size but it was running in stealth mode. The rattles are broken off with only the newest one and the one before it. Didn't make any noise. The older dog was with me, the one that has been bitten 3 times. She picks them up pretty quick now and saw this one before it saw us. She made a quick stop and backed up and sniffed at the same time than looked at me as if to say, "Well, the gun is in your hand use it!" and got behind me. It was coiled with it's head down. I couldn't get a clear head shot. I blew it up too bad to skin it. I think I'll move the frame to a less snake spot. I got the Rust Doctor on almost the whole frame. I need to clean the places where I tried the WD 40 and Mystery oil. I'll reload the gun and try to get pictures of it tomorrow.  :)

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 09:23:18 AM »
I guess that's one of the good things about living in an urban area, the only snake I see around my way is the garden snake. No threat there. And as far as finding gold? ....only in a safe deposit box ;D But, if I did find gold you know I would turn it over to the government, riiiight......
Tighten it up til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 01:37:35 PM »
And this morning #3. The biggest yet a little over 3' 8 rattles, under the tractor. All about 30 yards apart and 20 to 50 yards from the house. One of my friends was upset because I discarded the others and placed his order for the rest. He tried to convince me of how good they taste. He is wrong but welcome to them.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 04:44:51 PM »
#4 this morning. Just when I was thinking it was safe to leave the house.  ;D My wife discovered another 3 footer on her way to the car to go shopping. It was about 20 feet from the back door.  This will make two that I've cleaned and frozen for a friend who wants to make some rattle snake chili. I'll skin 'em and clean 'em but I won't eat 'em.  ::)

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 06:49:32 PM »
My brother is on 6 i believe. 4 adults and 2 babies that showed up in his shop🤯  He dosen't like killing them, but can't have them at the house or shop. Too many grandkids and pets around. He leaves them alone on the outskirts of his property.

His latest one last weekend. Looks like the same as yours Sixball.

sixball

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 09:00:58 PM »
He is ahead of me and I hope he stays there. This is a contest I don't mind loosing.  I'll call it off now if he will.  :D I don't like the babies they just bite. I don't like killing them either and don't do it if they are not where we and the dogs have to be. The rodents they eat cause a lot of damage and carry Hantavirus and Bubonic Plague. At least the rattlers sound a warning. I have to move my activities up to the springs next week to get the fire system fully operational. We'll see who's hiding up there.  :o

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 10:01:04 PM »
I  don't want any part of that contest :o
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 07:24:53 AM by 62131 »

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2021, 10:07:10 AM »
Rattlesnake chili? I'll just stick to ground beef in mine. I'm down the Jersey shore for the summer running my miniature golf and ice cream shop. I found one problem down here....mice. I'm not big on killing any animal unless they get in my way, and these mice are in my way. I set 4 traps with peanut butter and they picked them clean! I reset them. Picked them clean again! I'll try a different bait that they have to tug on........at least I don't have rattlesnakes, that's one good thing about the city I guess.

sammons

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2021, 10:31:47 AM »
But...."Tastes like Chicken"🥴  Well, i'll just have the Chicken😁

Those mice can be tricky to catch sometimes. Get yourself a good female mouser cat. I've seen lots of business' use those to keep mice down. Most customers like petting the "House Cat".🙂

chopper526

• Master Deluxe
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »
Haha! Me too, if I want something that tastes like chicken I will just eat chicken. A cat might be a solution but then I have to take care of it, traps only cost $1.00 ::)

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

OTHER FORUMS

AMERICAN DREAM CARS
CANADIAN RODDER FORUM
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Classic Shop Talk
Inliners International
Killbillet Rat Rod Forum
LAY IT LOW
METAL MEET FORUM
The H.A.M.B.
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

CHEVY PARTS SOURCES

AMERICAN ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS
ALBANY COUNTY FASTENERS (SS NUTS/BOLTS etc)
AN PLUMBING FITTINGS/ADAPTERS ETC
1933-1935 Buy/Sell Chevy Parts
BOB’S CLASSIC AUTO GLASS (& rubber seals) Ask for Forum Discount
BOWTIE REPRODUCTIONS
Chevs of the 40’s Parts
Chevy Supply of Assonet
Classic Fabrication
Dropped Axles & Axle Reference Site
Early Chevrolet Parts
EMS Auto Parts
Exhaust Parts – Including Oval Pipe
GLEN RARICK (LaFargeville, NY) Vintage Chevy Parts
Hamby Motors – Vintage Parts SC
HEMMINGS MOTOR NEWS
HOTRODDERS.COM CLASSIFIED
I&I 1929-1954 Chevrolet Reproduction Parts
JULIANO’S HOT ROD PARTS
McNichols PERFORATED METAL SUPPLIER
METRO Rubber Restoration Parts & Weather-Stripping
OBSOLETE CHEVY PARTS CO.
OLD CHEVY TRUCKS (Parts)
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
REPAIR CONNECTOR STORE
Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc
RESTORATION SUPPLY COMPANY
ROCKAUTO "Search retailmenot.com for discount codes"
ROCKY MOUNTAIN RELICS
Smooth steel running boards for classic cars and trucks
Rock Valley Antique & Street Rod Parts
Silver Spittoon Antiques
Steele Rubber Parts
STRAPWORKS.COM
Superior Glass Works
SURPLUS CENTER misc electrical, hydraulics etc
The Filling Station – Vintage Chevy & GMC Parts
TAIL LIGHT KING
TRADERVAR Auto Gauges & Test Equip
VINTAGE PARTS CLUB

TECH LINKS – REFERENCE & MISC

1931 Chevrolet
1932 Chevrolet
BCC Bin Look Up
BCC Bin Look Up (#2)
Bergeson Universal Steering
CHEVROLET HISTORY 1916-1942
CHEVY MANIA
CHEVROLET Model Identification Charts
Chevrolet Production Figures
CHEVY TALK
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
CLASSIFIED SEARCH
CLIPS & FASTENERS
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST
DAVE's Small-Body HEI’s
DeCode This VIN Decoder FREE ONE
ENGINE BUILDER MAGAZINE
Engine RPM Calculator
GearHead EFI Forums
GM Gen III+ Engine Crank Spacing & Interchange
GM TH-200-R4 Transmission
HOT RODDER JOURNAL
LeBaron Bonney Company-Vintage Car Interior
McPherson 4 Year College Degree - Automotive Restoration
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
NATIONAL DO NOT CALL REGISTRY
New England Chrome Plating
OBD2 ENGINE CODES
OLD CAR ADVERTISING – CHEVROLET INDEX
OLD CHEVY PICTURES BY YEAR
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
SEMA Action Network BREAKING NEWS
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY ENGINE SUFFIX CODES
StoveBolt
TEAM 208 MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring, Tuning, EFI
The12Volt - Free Vehicle Wiring, Relay Diagrams, and Technical Information
The Filling Station - Classic Chevrolet Tech Articles

Website Free Tracking
Stats Of Website
Flag Counter
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal